Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Default 1st 20/40 game hand #2 - Turn actions?

I want to thank all the people that replied to my last post - your help is appreciated.

The next hand that I would like feed back on is this one. The background was in my other post.

I had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] CO-1 and the seasoned player opened raised EP and I made what is most likely a bad call [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. BTN called.

The flop was great for me.

6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP player bet and I raised, BTN folded, EP called.

Turn was better 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP checked.

What is my best play here?

Bet and he would most likely fold. Check and hope to trap him for an extra bet?

Since I have an Ace his most likely holding is AK, JJ instead of AA. AJ is possible be less likely IMO.

If he has AA/JJ I do not want to give he a free card and he will most likely call with AA/JJ even if he figures me for a flush.

Recommendations?

Thanks - humm, maybe I need to put in a few more years at the lower limits after all.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 1st 20/40 game hand #2 - Turn actions?

preflop: this is indeed a bad preflop call...

flop: fine
turn: bet
the reason that you shouldn't check if he has a set is that you lose a ton of value...but likey holdings for him include hands other than you state though...he could have an A or set in addition to KsKx or QsQx or KQ...these hands (especially if they include a spade are calling a turn bet...so bet...he may even c/r you with AK or AQ which is awesome...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks good comments - I bet and be folded. I guess AK or AQ no spade. I knew that this was a marginal call and unless I hit a monster flop I was out of there. I would rather have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] than AKo or AQo in this spot -with KK, QQ I 3-bet P-Flop and fold the flop.

This hand if I missed my flush draw I fold all flops except 99x and A9x. I would lose to AJ and AA.

I had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the BTN, preflop action limp, raise and I folded in a flash - flop was A9A - raiser had KK. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks good comments - I bet and be folded. I guess AK or AQ no spade. I knew that this was a marginal call and unless I hit a monster flop I was out of there. I would rather have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] than AKo or AQo in this spot -with KK, QQ I 3-bet P-Flop and fold the flop.

This hand if I missed my flush draw I fold all flops except 99x and A9x. I would lose to AJ and AA.

I had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the BTN, preflop action limp, raise and I folded in a flash - flop was A9A - raiser had KK. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

from reading this post you may not want to be playing middle limits yet...
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM

Thanks Thirddan - I may not want to as you said - It was my first time and maybe I am not ready. How do you get experience at middle limits without playing at middle limits?

I know I can study, use computer s/w, read fourms, ask for advice but I don't think playing low limit helps me train for mid limit. Maybe I am wrong and any advice is appriciated.

The problem I see with playing Mid limits is when you miss the flop or get a part of it. Low limits you need to hit the flop and have your hand hold up.

This game 2-3 saw the flop and it did not always go to the river.

One hand I had 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bb. MP raised, I called. I flop a flush draw, bet and he called. Turn was my flush, I c/r and the pre-flop raiser MP folded.

My problem was if he had a bigger flush I was going to lose some chips. That is where I need experience.

Edit - BTW, I score pretty well on the "how good is your Limit Hold'em" book quiz by Jacobs and Brier.

But, I do not kid myself and know my limitations and will run for the hills if need be.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Default STOP READING

STOP READING BOOKS AND PLAY HANDS!!! This may sound stupid as you are currently reading this forum as do I and many others worldwide but the good posters and players are people that play tons and tons of hands and have experienced every situation so many times that it becomes automatic. It does not matter that how well you scare at 'how good is your limit hold'em' if you cannot make the same accurate observations about your opponents as quickly or correctly as the authors do.

Play hands, don't overanalyze, put in the hours, and try things out at lower limits.

Someone on this forum (sorry I forget your name) said that when he feels he's doing the wrong thing and does it anyways it usually means he's playing over his head. This is extremely true and I think it speaks volumes for the two posts of yours that I've read. No one is perfect when they start out and trying to play against seasoned players who have sufficient bankroll while you do not will kill you.

Again, the only thing you can do to increase your game (usually) is to play. Study basketball, you won't become a great player. Same thing for poker and anything else.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from reading this post you may not want to be playing middle limits yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

From reading this, you might go back to a lower limit. You will only get your flush 1 in every 24 times, consider that and read what you wrote.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM

There are pros and cons to your game.

If you play this way you are hard to read for other 20-40 players that's for sure. (calling A9s on the button for a raise). When I play online, short handed, I would also call with A9s on the button, but not in a full ring game.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you know by now that the preflop call was bad. On the flop, I believe AKo or AQo are still favorites over your hand. Do three bet those mentioned hands preflop. However, and it is read dependent, you can't just always fold for one bet when an overcard hits on the flop. Your 3betting range is a too narrow. Players will just bet out knowing you will fold unless you flopped a set here.

"This hand if I missed my flush draw I fold all flops except 99x and A9x"

I'm a little confused by what you said here. Are you going for a flush draw before the flop? Regardless, you basically said yourself why cold calling a hand like A9 preflop is bad.
For action after the flop, I agree with geormiet. Just bet the turn.

"I had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the BTN, preflop action limp, raise and I folded in a flash - flop was A9A - raiser had KK. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]"

I noticed the smiley, but do not let things like this influence your future decisions. Try your best to just forget your hand after you fold it. Focus on putting other players on a hand instead of thinking about what hand you would have made.

-- I would like to thank the seasoned posters here for their thought out advice. It is hard for newer posters like threeducks and myself to get such advice sometimes. Too often responses like "your an idiot" are given. All advice is VERY much appreciated.

-Tybo
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Thanks Tybo - I got lucky on this hand. I do not miss the A9o at all. A9s was a bad call that worked out - it made me think more about my game.