Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Boot Camp for WSOP

I fell ass-backwards into a seat in yesterday's Titan freeroll. I didn't even know when the M.E. was starting, and for 8 hours last night I was telling everybody that it was July 7th (2005's dates).

So anyway, it's time for some training. I am immediately purchasing:

- HoH3 (already have 1 and 2)
- NLHE by Miller
- Kill Phil

Obviously I will be reading all of these at least once. After that, I don't know. I should definitely spend a significant amount of time studying Kill Phil. I've already read SS, TPFAP, TOP, and more.

As for actual practice, I have little experience in deep-stack events, especially with high antes. Is Pokerstars the best for this? The buy-in can't be too big though - I've never entered higher than a $22 speed SNG, and I'm usually an $11.

I suppose going to Atlantic City (I'm on Long Island) is feasible, but I don't know if the cost and time are worth the slight benefit from a little bit more live experience. I've previously made some big scores in Showboat's tournaments.

That should be enough to start a discussion...
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Boot Camp for WSOP

To be honest, I don't think you can read all 3 of those books in this short of time to actually gain anything from it. That stuff needs to be read, re-read, digested, etc...but, I guess it depends on the person.

I would pick one of the books or maybe pick out certain chapters from each of those books.

As for getting hands in, not sure, personally, I think live play would be better. 2 hrs to AC or foxwoods isn't so bad i guess.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM

1) Immediately stop playing anything but MTTs (no cash games, no SNGs) to get yourself fully in the MTT mindset

2) Play as many MTTs as you have time for, but only one at a time (try to get a read on your opponents, work on your patience). Deepstacks tourneys on Stars are great for this.

3) Play in at least a couple higher buyin online MTTs so the money involved in the WSOP doesn't freak you out

4) No need to go to AC, just get to Vegas a couple days early and play in a couple live MTTs once you get there

5) Donk off all your chips to the chubby white guy with a redneck accent wearing Poker.com gear
Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 PM

Of all the books I would recommend Kill Phil. You will probably get the most out of that book in a short period of time. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:31 PM

It is my understanding that Kill Phil doesn't teach good post flop practices. I don't know exactly what the book teaches, but I am under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) is that it teaches you how to kind of become a push bot and take away the post flop advantage of players who are better than you and play extremely well post flop.

So if that is the case you are probably best to just stick to the HoH series. If by the NLHE you mean the new No Limit Hold Em: Theory and Practice, then you may be best to stay away from it if you have little NL experience or don't know a lot of concepts. It is a very in-depth book and the last thing I would want to have running through my head at the M.E. if I am a novice is all these concepts I just read through and trying to apply them.

You only have a short amount of time to read through all the material you suggested (which I think it is feasable to get through them all in this short time) but I think its almost being counter-productive. You are reading so much new material that you won't have adaquete time to master it or apply it correctly.

Those are my recommendations concerning books.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM

IMMEDIATELY join pokerxfactor.com and spend some time watching the videos. Yes, it's online, but with Rizen, Bax, and Sheets, it will help you with strategies and techniques. HOH is great, also look at Caro's Book of Tells.

Hunker down, then go play some live games, make notes, study, go play some more live.

Work on a consistent way to play to avoid giving tells. If you don't have live experience, come up with a routine (Moneymaker said he tried to wait 5 seconds before he folded, bet, or checked when he won).

These may or may not work for you:

Don't look at your cards until its your turn. Instead look around the table and see if you can make judgements on how people are reacting to their hole cards. Start with the players to your immediate right and left.

On the flop, do not look at the cards but rather the other players in the hand. Everyone is looking at the table, try and look at them.

Start with those and you'll be fine.

Just another thought - one of the valuable things with PXF is that Bax and Rizen go through painstaking analysis of hands they are not involved with - they take a look at some hands in excruciating detail and then use whatever information they gleam to make plays later on.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

Pokerstars has a Saturday deep stacks tourney at noon ET for $10 + 1.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM

I know that Kill Phil is mostly about push botting to overcome the edge that much better players have - that's exactly why I should probably study that most of all. Unless the skill level at the main event is going to be that of $22 speed SNG's, the players will be much better than me.

I don't doubt that there will be a couple of people per table at my level or below, but what do I do when one of the Phils sits to my left?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 PM

Well the goal is to learn how to play good poker post flop. Not minimize the chance that you have to play good poker post flop.

Plus if Kill Phil is about push botting against players that are much better then you, then you are probably going to (at least I would assume with a tournament of this size and structure) go out before you ever make it far unless you get pretty lucky when someone has called your push.

There is plenty of play time at each level. I think if you are really worried about being at a table with a "Phil" then you can easily avoid big confrontations with him/her and target the players who you think are weaker or of comparable skill.

I would just stick with all three of the HoHs. They have sound post flop strategies and start developing your critical thinking that is needed in events such as the M.E.

Don't sell yourself short and pass on oppurtunites to become a better poker player just because you are in a large buy-in event with pros. Use your time that you have now before the M.E. wisely and you will do fine.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 PM

Kill Phil was written just for you.