Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 AM

Default I may have got every street wrong.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Results:
Final pot: 9.5BB
Old 06-26-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: I may have got every street wrong.

Why no raise on the turn is what I can't understand. If you aren't appy to see the king you shouldn't have called on the flop. When SB checks that turn to you you have to bet it and put pressure on drawing hands. Just calling the river is fine but please bet that turn. Also FWIW with no diamond and there being the Q out there I might just fold this flop with the preflop aggressor still to act.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:11 AM

Preflop you got right.

Flop I either raise or fold, depending on reads. Calling is definitely the worst option.

Turn I bet.

River is tough. I so want to fold since he's leading into two players. I doubt I always do, though.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:12 AM

Well, I wouldn't 3bet pf and I wouldn't fold, so your call is ok. You can't raise the flop and I wouldn't fold there, either, so ok.

The turn you really effed up. This is super easy bet time. Imagine your horror to have that street checked through. Also, you're really protected against a raise even by something like KQ because of that flush coming in.

As played, the river is a bit of a quandary. You aren't closing the action, and the only way your K is good is if SB is desperation-donking something like TT or AJ AND CO doesn't call. I probably fold to this donk and really hate myself for messing up the turn so bad. The greatest factor in favor of a call is that there's no way SB can put you on a K here, so a donk with something stupid is possible. But you're still not closing.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop I either raise or fold, depending on reads. Calling is definitely the worst option.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? What on earth is a raise accomplishing? If we get HU with SB, are we checking the turn and calling any river, hoping to snap off a bluff from 23 diamonds or something? I think we can take it as a given that SB is going to see a river here. I can see an argument for a fold, but I think a raise is far, far worse than anything else.

Maybe you misread the hand/action.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 AM

I should clarify that against most line ups I'm just folding. Getting 7:1 on a gutshot and a dirty King on a 2 flush board not closing the action sucks.

Raising cleans up some pair outs if SB is liable to donk light.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 AM

Fold the flop
Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 AM

No PT stats or any type of reads makes this hand a bit difficult.

Regardless, I'm raising the flop here most of the time. SB is way more likely to have 66 or Adxd than KQ or 77. So we usually have plenty of outs and some chance that K-hi is either good or can pick up the pot with a bluff. And if CO calls or reraises, then we play a big pot with a draw at the nuts+implied odds...not ideal but could be worse.

Given your flop call, I can't imagine what prompted you to check the turn (afraid of some sort of ill-advised screwplay?) This is a really easy bet. I'd also consider calling a single raise, particularly if it comes from CO and SB folds.

Of course the river is fine--your hand rates to be better than CO (we never got to find out much about his hand because you went limp) and though SB's hand is looking stronger now, we surely have odds to call.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising cleans up some pair outs if SB is liable to donk light.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but this is still ridiculous. You're saying that either SB or CO has T8, JT, J8, KT, or KJ, and that they'll fold it on either the flop or turn? Or an AT/AK that they'll dump, so spiking the T or K will be good for you?

This seems like really, really weak justification, and when you combine that with the diamond flush and not closing the action, isn't nearly enough to justify a raise.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 AM

The flop call (for an immediate 7:1) with a gutshot and overcard seems kind of loose with the PFR to act behind you and no part of the two-flush. But the biggest problem is that the PFR might pop it, and fortunately that didn't happen.

On the turn, I guess you can get, but I can see why you hesitated to. And that seems to point to a problem on the flop: If CO doesn't raise, he's still going to have our overcard dominated sometimes. Anyway, though, it does seem like betting is best, doesn't it? We've got to hope CO is just sitting on AJ or JJ or something. And, as an aside: Boy, our outs situation is looking difficult to figure out if we get raised.

The river call seems all right to me, but I suppose I'm taking into account what CO did. Surely if you knew he was going to fold, you'd want to call. I don't know how it is on Absolute, but on Party it's gotten to where I'm thinking some of my opponents just think a donkbet is obligatory when the board pairs. But that's mostly HU, but then again this is one of those spots where he might go for a checkraise holding a Q. He's probably got CO on a K (that's what I'd have him on). He could be worried about whiffing, though, I'll admit.