Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Deadwood Episode 27 Notes

Some random episode thoughts and questions:

Thank god Wu is back. I missed his conversations with Swerengen very much.

I'm getting a little sick of Trixie's attitude. She's always pissed off or complaining. Worse, she's a bitch to Sol for no reason. She needs to lighten up, or Sol should give her a smacking.

Why was Hearst so offended by Alma's offer? I understand he wants to own her claim completely, and have total control over it, but I just can't understand his outrage at her proposal. Doesn't strike me as the best way to get a deal done.

Speaking of which, Hearst is a bitch, why hasn't he been popped yet?

Did anyone else notice that after Farnum was assured he's dstill have is job after Hearst's Aunt became the cook, he raised the hotel prices? I found that amusing.

I think one of the coolest scenes was when Hearst's aunt was dominating the dominoes game with the Chinese. That ruled.

I think we also need the new theater guy to interact with Jane, I think they'd hit it off.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Deadwood Episode 27 Notes

Didn't like this episode too much. Not a whole lot happened. Didn't heavily feature Al or Bullock, and there wasn't much development outside of Hearst and the widow. Not a fan of the new character either. Farnum's scenes continue to be awesome though, and I like where Elsworth is going.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM

My thoughts;

Brian. [censored]. Cox. Just when you thought Deadwood couldn't get any better...

Hearst continues his run of awesomeness.

I can't wait for next week.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 AM

You don't walk up to Bill Gates, and offer to make him a silent partner in whatever project you're working on.

LOTW: She goes through her men like Sherman to the sea.

EB's scene with Hearst was priceless, as was the domino game.

Finally, WTF happened to the Doc?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think one of the coolest scenes was when Hearst's aunt was dominating the dominoes game with the Chinese. That ruled.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were playing Mah Jong. The hand she made, which she called '13 orphans' pays the max (payoff for winning a hand varies depending on rarity, like video poker). This hand is very rare (Some math about how rare it is), like a royal flush -- so getting it is suspicious.

There was only one discard visible in the center when she won and winning during the first round is difficult enough that any winning hand in the first round pays the max on its own, so that is suspicous.

They took a game with some skill and showed a player winning in an unbelievably lucky fashion. I was disappointed.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 AM

I liked the episode and thought the confrontation between Hearst and Alma was great. He acted indignant: (1) to intimidate her; (2) he really believes that everyone should fear him and defer to him; (3) he especially thinks women can't stand up to him.

I also liked the scene where Alma told her husband that he CAN'T protect her.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brian. [censored]. Cox. Just when you thought Deadwood couldn't get any better...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't like this episode too much. Not a whole lot happened. Didn't heavily feature Al or Bullock, and there wasn't much development outside of Hearst and the widow. Not a fan of the new character either. Farnum's scenes continue to be awesome though, and I like where Elsworth is going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the episode was great. It's pretty clear that Hearst will be the central character of this season and his pursuit and inevitable takeover of the Elsworth claim will be a main plot line. Hearst has now firmly aligned himself against the Elsworths, Bullock, and Swearengen, and how each of these conflicts shakes out should be very interesting.

It'll also be interesting to see if Cy wiggles his way back into the picture in any type of interesting way, and if he's able to drag Joanie back into his realm, as her side plot seems to be drying out. The scenes with Bullock's wife also remain excruciating. I still feel like she's eventually going to contribute more, but maybe they'll never get past these formal, uptight, extremely uncomfortable exchanges.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 PM

I enjoyed it, but it was my least favorite of the 3 so far this season...it was one of those 'setup' episodes.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They were playing Mah Jong. The hand she made, which she called '13 orphans' pays the max (payoff for winning a hand varies depending on rarity, like video poker). This hand is very rare (Some math about how rare it is), like a royal flush -- so getting it is suspicious.

There was only one discard visible in the center when she won and winning during the first round is difficult enough that any winning hand in the first round pays the max on its own, so that is suspicous.

They took a game with some skill and showed a player winning in an unbelievably lucky fashion. I was disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be disappointed. Don't you think it's possible they are setting her up as a cheater/trickster?