Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Did I misplay AA here?

Ok, I can't get this hand out of my mind. If I played it totally wrong, just tell me.

Playing live B&M $1/$2 NL, getting short stacked with $75 in front of me. I've been playing very tight and haven't shown down a hand that wasn't a monster pre and post flop. Early position, I'm dealt AA and raise it up to $25. Standard raise at the time had been $10-$25 but we had a fish who was all-in at some point in every hand he played and he played about 80% of the hands. I prayed he called.lol Folds around to late position young kid who has been playing pretty good cards and doesn't seem to make alot of moves unless he has it or a very good draw. I don't think I'd seen him showdown a loser. He calls and it folds back around. I figure for him to make the call he has to have AK or any pair over about 7's.

Flop comes 10d-8d-7d and I'm first to act. Crap, I don't have the ace of diamonds. I've got about $50 in front of me and the pot is around $55. I feel my option here is to push all-in or check. I hesitate and finally check. The kid already has chips in his hand and bets $30. I have two options again. All-in or fold. A call leaves me with $20 and I'd be pot commited, so that isn't an option. Now I'm thinking I might should have shoved when I was first to act. I go into the tank and try to think this one out. There is a flush, a straight and a straight flush out there, I don't think he has two pair, but a he could have flopped a set. He could have a big over pair but I can't see him betting into me unless he at the very least has a diamond draw. Finally after a minute I decide I can't risk all my chips when I could easily be drawing almost dead. I said outloud, "This is either the best laydown of the night or the worst and I don't know which", and I open folded my aces and the table went nuts. Kid nods and mucks his cards. Most everyone at the table thought I should have pushed all-in on the flop or at least called his flop bet. However, I also know many of those people would have gone broke with aces even if you showed them you flopped quads.lol An older solid TAG next to me leaned over and told me I did the right thing and most people would go broke in that spot. He also said he folded an ace and a buddy at the other end of the table told me he folded the other ace. So in hindsight I didn't really have any outs, but that obviously was not known when I made the decision.

So, what should I have done there. I personally feel it is a push all-in or fold situation with only $50 left after the flop. You make the call and tell me why.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Did I misplay AA here?

First: This is impossible to read, look at some other hands that is posted to see how it is done.

Second: Easiest push ever. Doing anything else when you get 33% of your stack in pf with AA is not so good. With a read maybe cr ai.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:15 PM

after he called you should have pulled a hellmuth and announced all-in in the dark.

seriously though, i agree with you having to push. this is a really icky situation though. the only other thing you maybe coulda done is pushed preflop and hoped someone could call with something like JJ-KK, AK or AQ.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Sorry. I just thought the explanation of the situation and my inital read was important.

Guess I gave too much extra info, it is pretty long. My bad. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Guess I should have said:

Pre-Flop:
Hero is EP with: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], raises to $25
Villian in LP: calls

Flop:
10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero: Checks
Villian: Raises $30
Hero: Folds
Old 06-25-2006, 06:27 PM

limp reraise
Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 PM

I agree, I'd loved to have gotten all my money in pre-flop but with around $75, I can't imagine getting a call. The biggest pre-flop raise at the table all night had been someone going all-in for around $30-$40. Again, my raise was 12x the BB, about as big as I figured anyone would call without AA,KK,QQ. However, I'd have loved for the resident donkey to have woke up with an A-rag and called. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 PM

doooooooooooooooooood,

that flop fold sucks

I open push that flop

As played, I C/R it AI

You got 37BB at the start of that hand and you got 1/3 of them in preflop and you're looking to try and fold AA?? WTF?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 AM

dude - seriously - you just bet 1/3 of your stack pf. If you don't plan on pushing any flop, either make your raise smaller or don't raise at all.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 AM

Since your remaining stack is about a pot size this is the easiest push ever.
If he outflopped you, so be it.
Since you are obviously playing with scared money (75$ at 1/2 NL and you didn't rebuy???) i suggest you'd move down.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I go into the tank and try to think this one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you went wrong. You overthought the situation. You were short stacked, you had the best hand. Think over. GOGOGO

BTW, I normally defend people who say they are trying to play a short stack strategy. But if that's what you were doing, you blew it. You need to either push preflop with this hand or push the flop when you're playing the short stack strategy. There's not a lot of thinking involved.

If you weren't trying to play the short strategy, then you blew it. This is hand exactly why you reload when you get below the max buyin.

If you know all this but you couldn't reload, then you blew it -- bankroll management is as important or more important than any tactical machinery you may come up with.