Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 08:21 AM

Default A common troublesome situation

Okay, same 10/20 Taj game as my Mr. stinky thread. It's saturday morning and there is only one 10 game going. I get sat down and look around and see everyone is a regular that knows everyone else. Sucky situation as I know this is going to be a straightforward, no big money being made, tight for 10/20 game. No big deal I know the fish will be arriving soon.

Then it starts. "Oh, it's just you me in the hand Pete, I'll check". Over and over again Player A doesn't play against player B. C Plays against D but not against A, etc. etc. you get the idea.

Now I've been in this situation before but there were like 4 regulars and 6 others. I told them their play is actually and act of collusion. Unintentional, but collusion nonetheless. Of course you know the regulars are argueing intensely as their faces turn red with anger. I try to explain to them a common situation. You play aggressive with three players, then the player between them folds, and they say, Oh, it's just you and me pete, I'll check. That's Collusion!! I realize they are friends or whatever and they are not intentionally trying to squeeze the middle player, but it doesn't matter.

They make commemts to me like: If I come here and play with my girlfriend or my wife, I'm not going to play against her.
Then you shouldn't be playing together I tell them and all the regulars insist I'm wrong.

Now imagine what it was like to be sitting at a table where all 9 players are doing that. I don't know who is playing agaisnt who.

Anyone else encounter this and if so does it bother you and have you ever said anthing agaisnt doing it.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: A common troublesome situation

How does this hurt you when you are in the hand?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:36 AM

At the Harrahs' in Council Bluffs, its a small enough population, that I've ran into thise numerous times. Usually one thing fixes that problem. If it happens in a pot I was in and got bet out of, I'll look down and make sure I say it in a very loud voice "Are you guys going to do that evertime you bet someone else out of a pot?" I've never seen a situation where they didnt get a bit embarrassed and knock it off.

Nick
Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 AM

I think it would be fun to sit there and go from seat 1 to (9 or 10) and ask them who they wont play against at the table...
Old 06-25-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this hurt you when you are in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, I think in many ways besides me just getting pushed off a hand. How many hands will a TAG player like myself actually be involved in when playing live. Not very many. So most of my time is spent getting reads on my opponnets. When they play differently against me than the others that can easily effect my decisions. Example off the top of my head. Player A C/calls his trip aces to the river against his buddy player B who had MPTK. Now I'm in the same situation but he pops me on the turn. I have to seriously consider this palyer might hold something like MPNK and trying to push me off my hand when the board pairs on the turn and it's unlikely I'm holding that ace. Now I also have to consider he may play differently agsinst me over his buddy. That's another set of variables for me that no one else has to consider or what if I don't know these guys soft play each other yet.

Yet another reason is the game can become very stagnent and boring. It's hard enough to pay attention when not in a hand but when the majority of hands go check/check to the river. What am I really going to pay attention to. It's not even a poker game any more.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:07 PM

If you can't see why this hurts then I'm not sure I can explain...when you face three bets and fold (what may - MAY - be the best hand and then the hand is checked down after you fold that is collusion