Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 11:04 PM

Default Dallas Poker on TV

So I'm thinking an evening playing some B&M would be nice....... I had to cancel going to New Orleans this weekend, but the girls still went to party and rabble-rouse on Bourbon St, so I'm free to be out for the evening.... Anyway, Winstar seemed a bit blah so I decided to head to Dallas for some underground action at one of the well-known spots. They were hosting a big monthly $200+$20 event plus the cash games so the place should be packed. I got there just in time to sign up for a $30 tourny, sit down for a few minutes....get my chips.........

.....and have the Dallas SWAT team along with the A&E film crew come rushing in like a flood and bust us all!! Turns out this club was a little too well known and DPD had been scoping it out for some time. I tell you, it was a sphincter clenching moment for about a second, until it clicked in that they were cops and not robbers. WHEW!!! Was there for about an hour as they booked the dealers and owners and made their way around ticketing all the players. I'm glad I only dropped $30 on a tourney instead of sitting in the $1-$2 NL which would have cost me $300.

It was an interesting experience. The Police were very professional, calm, and in complete control. I watched the whole thing in a very detached manner for a while, then this producer from A&E came around and asked if anyone would like to sign releases for the show. I said hell yeah my kids love that show [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] She asked some questions, not a real interview or anything, but they got a ton of footage so it'll be interesting to see the show down the road from their perspective.

Ya know what, it's still early... Winstar isn't THAT far....
Old 06-24-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Dallas Poker on TV

I have to admit, I think that show is awesome.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:45 PM

A [censored] SWAT TEAM busted a poker game? geeze
Old 06-25-2006, 12:12 AM

I agree with both KAknight and Gilbert.

Last Thursday at my home game we somehow got on the subject of the Dallas SWAT show and we talked about how we all loved seeing them bust crack heads, gang hide outs, drug dens etc. But now they are busting poker games? Give me a break. Nice use of our tax dollars and their training. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2006, 12:18 AM

ticketing? I am assuming you will be fined. If it is, do you know how much it will be?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:52 AM

It was mentioned that the fine is $125.....can't confirm or deny until I pay it.

(made the smart ass remark that for alot of these players, ending the night down -$125 from the ticket was an above average session)
Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A [censored] SWAT TEAM busted a poker game? geeze

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're about to bust in on a room filled with 80 people who are all about to be charged with something. They're all doing something illegal and you are going to demand ID from all of them. Think maybe, just perhaps, one of the people in the room is armed? Maybe one or more people in the room is wanted for something and knows it?

78 out of the 80 are not going to be a problem. They'll sit quietly and do as they're told and take their tickets and go home. It's those 2 guys who have outstanding warrants who REALLY don't want to go to jail tonight that you need to worry about. This is why routine traffic stops are particularly dangerous for cops...you never know what you're going to run into. In this case, instead of stopping a car with 4 guys in it, one of whom is gonna get at ticket for speeding, you're about to bust in on 80 illegal gamblers.

Cops don't have to be rough with anybody (I've heard horror stories along those lines), but they need to make it clear they have overwhelming force and can deal instantly with anybody pulling a gun or trying to run. That makes everybody safer.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 AM

Please remind us all when this episode is due to air on TV.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 PM

will keep my eye open for it but it'll probably be next season
Old 06-25-2006, 06:36 PM

bav,

If it was me, I would probably just walk in and start shooting people.