Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 04:32 PM

Default OOT: I\'m now a golfer

There are many things I'm always saying I'm going to learn, but never do. The only way I can focus on something is when I have something invested, even if the investment is small. So today I purchased a full set of golf clubs and a bag. I have absolutley no idea how to play golf.

How difficult is the going to be?
Any advice?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: OOT: I\'m now a golfer

Very difficult. Take lessons.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:44 PM

-Lessons
you should be able to find group lessons 4beginners

-Practice
you should find a public course w/ driving range & practice green, especially key is 2 practice your short game

-start w/easy courses- executive 9 hole. if you do play a regular course play from the closest men's tee's. learn how 2 play fast.

You are going to suck for a while. but remember you're doing it 4 fun & exercise. it's going to be frustrating and time consuming.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So today I purchased a full set of golf clubs and a bag. I have absolutley no idea how to play golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're awesome. Seriously.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I purchased a full set of golf clubs and a bag. I have absolutley no idea how to play golf.

[/ QUOTE ] .

yeah, this is definitely act first, ask questions later.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM

It's better than getting into WoW at least.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's better than getting into WoW at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

SAYS YOU
Old 06-24-2006, 08:21 PM

Actually, if the OP has any money to burn, I suggest private lessons. Group lessons in just about anything suck.

Edit: Especially in something like golf. A swing is so complicated, and everyone has so many individual problems with their swings.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Take lessons.

Learn to play fast. People sometimes brag that "we finished in less than 4 hours," not knowing the 4 hour round is an abomination, a crime against humanity, an invention of televised slow play professional golfers. Strive to play in 3 hours (or less when alone on a clear course) even when you suck. The only problem is you will then be behind people who think a 4 hour round is acceptable.

Be a curmudgeon. Learn something about what golf is supposed to be, its sporting origin. Learn something about golf course architecture. I am late to this myself but am trying to learn some things. Doing these things will deepen your appreciation for the sport.

Golf is a sport and was supposed to be a sport played outdoors in a natural setting on foot. Courses that require carts are not golf courses. If you ride in a cart you are playing a game akin to the sport of golf, but it is not quite golf. Learn to embrace unfairness, unpredictability, and frustration. Embrace it on foot not in an ATV.

This sounds crusty I know. The problem is that golf loses a player for every player it attracts. Part of the reason for that is that the game has been damaged by various trends I rant about. One way to stop that is to learn and accept what golf is supposed to be. And I have not always followed my own advice. However, I am slowly learning to see golf for what it should be and am starting to have more fun at it. For a long time it wasn't that fun for me for a few different reasons. Anyway, the point is to have fun and if you do these things your chance for getting enjoyment out of the game will be greater. If you try to do it without lessons and only get to play expensive courses that require you to ride about in a buggy the chances are greater you will find something else to do with your, ugh, 5 hours on a saturday.

Things are not perfect out there and I know I sound nuts, but if you do these things you will have more fun.

Also, do not underestimate the importance of the short game. Beginers naturally gravitate toward learing to advance the ball. Totally understandable. But work on the little shots. I don't then drive myself crazy on the course. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golf is a sport and was supposed to be a sport played outdoors in a natural setting on foot. Courses that require carts are not golf courses.

[/ QUOTE ]

bahahahahahaaaaa, good one!