Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Guerilla Swimming in Vegas?

So, after much soul-searching, I have switched from the MGM to the IP for my 9-day WSOP trip to Vegas next week. Party due to the fact that it is only half the price, but mainly to be closer to the rooms that I want to play (Venetian, Wynn, Bellagio, Mirage, Caesars, and of course, Rio) and to be free from poker rate commitment to play 5hrs/day at the MGM. I want to come and go as the mood takes me.

I have one of the remodelled rooms at the IP, so it will be adequate for my needs, but the big negative for me from this switch is the relative quality of the pools. MGM is large and nice, IP is small and crappy.

So to my question; do any Vegas locals or veterans have any tips to share about how to blag your way into the pool areas of hotels where one isn't actually staying?

Presumeably, some pools are easier to gate-crash than others? Any tips on secret routes, back entrances, code-words, funny-handshakes, bribes or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

I have a rental car, so location is practically a non-issue.

Many thanks.

Rob
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Guerilla Swimming in Vegas?

Sorry to hijack but what is the poker room rate at MGM? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:08 PM

$40 off the quoted room rate.

The poker rate that I had booked from 7/2 - 7/11 was $109/night. requirement is 5hrs play per day.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:40 PM

There is a side entrance to the Mandalay Bay Pool that the waitresses use. It is near the "wave" part of the pool. There was a keypad security code that they punched to get in- you can either spy to find it or just do it by trial and error (the digits they use will be totally worn so there are only 24 combinations to try)
Old 06-24-2006, 06:04 PM

As far as I could tell, the Rio's pool area is open to anyone. This was back last October. I was staying there and walked right into the pool area without anyone "checking" me.

Security may be different during the WSOP though.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:06 PM

No, this is correct.

I sat out in the pool area at the Rio for a little bit during last year's WSOP.

Maybe they do some random key checks or something every once in awhile, but I didn't see anyhting like that.

It's not exactly the nicest pool set-up in the world and wouldn't be as good as Bellagio, Mandalay and others.

But it was better than your average, crappo hotel-pool situation.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 PM

I went to meet a friend who was staying at Caesars. I waited for him to come let me out to the pool area, when I could have simply walked around the hallway by the restaurant to an unlocked, unguarded door that led right outside. This was by the entrance to the pool that was not near the Venus Pool.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM

If you have a freind staying at one of the places you want access to, ask them for a spare room key of theirs. If they don't want you to have access to their room they can just go to the front desk and say they lost their key and get re-keyed and you can take their dead ones. You just need to flash a room key to get into any pool.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a freind staying at one of the places you want access to, ask them for a spare room key of theirs. If they don't want you to have access to their room they can just go to the front desk and say they lost their key and get re-keyed and you can take their dead ones. You just need to flash a room key to get into any pool.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does NOT work at Mandaly. You must swipe your room key to get in and if it doesn't go through then the guy at the pool tells you to go back ot the front desk and ask for a new key.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM

If you have a friend staying there you can just go to the pool with them can't you?

Obviously at Mandalay (and probably other places) having a dead key won't work.