Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Default locking and moving threads

In the MTT forum, I have seen several threads locked without explanation even though they seemed relevant. For example, one thread concerned a glitch in Party MTT rebuy tourneys. The thread was locked without explanation before I even discovered it. Just recently, a post I made there was moved to the Software forum without explanation even though my question was specifically about MTTs.

I don't know if this is the way it is usually done, but it seems if something is locked, moved or deleted, there should be an explanation given by the mod doing it.

Is this typical and accepted procedure?
Old 06-24-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: locking and moving threads

Was one of those the HUD question? I think you're going to find that they want all software discussion in the Software forum. I'm just guessing.

In any event, every forum has their own move/lock guidelines, I think. You may find guidance in the FAQs and stickies.

With so many posters and messages these days, moderators need to be pretty aggressive about moving and locking. Hopefully The Grunch will be along as I know he can give plenty of insight into this.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:55 PM

Different forums have different moderators and each set of moderators behave differently. Some take care to note why a thread is being locked while others don't take the extra time. Since they are essentially unpaid volunteers and there are a lot of threads to go through every day, I prefer to think of the mods who provide an explanation as going above and beyond rather than those who don't as being deficient. But I certainly don't think it's too much to ask the mods to do, just maybe too much to expect them to do.

If you have a question on why a thread has been locked, your best course of action is to private message the moderators for the forum (available at the bottom of the page) other than Mat and if you feel something is really deserving and the mods don't respond after a reasonable amount of time you can take it up with Mat.

But in the end its a free forum. Having been here for quite a while (and lurking for quite a while before I registered) I can say with confidence that even though they mishandle things from time to time, the site is much better with our volunteer moderators than without them. In the "old days" it wasn't needed, but the number of rude/idiot/troll accounts that come through here is many times higher than it used to be. I really thought the forum was going to become unuseable there for a while.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:08 PM

I think Pov's response was a pretty good one. I'd just like to reiterate that if you have a thread of your moderated and you don't know why, your best course of action is to PM the moderator who did it. If you don't know which one, PM one of the mods of that forum. (We are all mods of specific forums)