Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Is this raise too small?

This is $1/$2 NL 6 max. There is a complete maniac at the table. Hes 96 / 74

MP ($416) raises to $6. Cutoff ($100) calls. I ($867) call on the button with 77. SB ($265) calls. Maniac ($136) reraises to $38 in the BB.

MP calls, Cutoff calls, so I call as does SB.

Pot $158. Flop is J74 all hearts. Maniac leads for $16, MP calls and I raise to $84.

I rarely play deep stacked because I normally only play an hour or so at a time and dont have time to get deep. Most of my money came from the maniac. Is this raise too small?

I was actually hoping that the maniac would reraise all in and MP would fold but looking back, Im giving good odds for that flush.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Is this raise too small?

This totally depends on maniac. I mean, some will be willing to call an allin right here, so push. Others might try and bluff you, so raise small is good. Generally just stick chips in the pot though. You might want to consider reraising preflop to isolate btw, again depends on table conditions (this time on whether you can get the other guys to fold).
Old 06-24-2006, 12:24 AM

This makes me wanna barf. I'd just as easily push AI.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:35 AM

What do we know about MP? With that terrible bet from maniac he is going to have to call with a ton of hands. Which ones will he release to your raise? I think if you raise it should be around the size of the pot in this case.

Also can you say anything about maniac's reraising standards? Obv he is a maniac but some of these players still don't rr without some semblance of a hand.

NT
Old 06-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Maniacs reraising standards are any 2 cards. He has raised $34 and called a $140 limp reraise all in with 85. And not just once.

I couldve reraised all in preflop to isolate but there were 1 or 2 other pretty deep stacks at the table who were limping with monsters to reraise the maniac, so theres no telling what anyone has.

MP isnt very good. Thats about all I can say about him. he does have a healthy stack though.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Pot sized or Push...I lean toward the pot-sized then get the rest in on turn if you get callers. You hit your hand on a big pot...make MP pay if he's drawing and get Maniac's cash in ASAP.

S0meGuy
Old 06-24-2006, 10:50 AM

ice,

Given this info I think you need to make it at least 150. The only other hope would be raising light, as you did, hoping maniac will re-raise and knock out MP. However I think 150 - 175 is the play here.

NT
Old 06-24-2006, 12:14 PM

They both folded to my raise so it didnt matter, but after the session I thought this was the only questionable play I made.

I quit after 100 hands (when the maniac did), with a $1315 stack. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]