Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Default proper attire when looking for min wage jobs?

So my younger brother is staying with me for about 8 months as he's gonna do a semester here in SD. Basically he's getting rent free room in my house but still has to pay for utilities, food, and just his own spending money etc...I got him a job as a bouncer at a strip club for like 3 nights and he's also going out looking for jobs at like Trader Joes, Vons, and some small shops on the boardwalk...

anyway we got into a discussion today about what he's wearing when going out to look for jobs...basically he just wears jeans, sneakers, and a tshirt...i told him to put on at least a collared shirt and some nicer shoes but he says that for min wage jobs it doesn't matter...

now he's12yrs younger than me so its been a while since i've gone looking for min wage jobs but i used to always dress up a little nicely when going to fill out applications, no matter how informal i knew the place was...have times just changed so much or is my brother a dbag being lazy (coz it doesn't really seem like he wants to find work hoping my parents will chip in)

cliff notes: casual wear ok or not for finding min wage jobs?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: proper attire when looking for min wage jobs?

McDonald's: Jeans and Polo.

Grocery Store/Customer Service: Tucked in Button Down and cargo pants

Office Job: Shirt and Tie
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM

If you hae a suit wear it. It will look like you are serious for the job. Atleast always wear a shirt and tie , even if its way over kill no one will ever say " He was over dressed for this type of job"

Maybe it pays 2 dollars an hour but you obvioulsy need the job (or him whatever) then he should dress to impress.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 PM

When I worked at Home Depot a guy once came in wearing an Insane Clown Posse shirt (juggalos reprazent?) and wore his CD player through the entire interview, apparently. I thought that maybe he was playing some sort of weird social joke, but his girlfriend (who was a very very bad cashier at our store) had recently gotten knocked up and he really needed a job. As hard up as we were for people, he still was not hired.

Clothing does not make the man, but you gotta show a little effort. His clothes may not be reponsible for him not getting hired, but they could be a deciding factor if it gets close or is a tight job market. If he's going to go collarless, throw an iron at him, atleast, and tell him to wear something solid in color. He'll probably drop the iron and buy a cheap collared shirt.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 PM

It probably doesn't matter at most places. However, he is probably doing himself no favours by not dressing nicely. At the very least, he may give himself a shot at getting a better job than he would if he dresses like a bum.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:42 PM

For min wage jobs, I think as long as you look presentable and dont walk in with holes in your clothes and nasty torn baggy pants youll be fine.

Also, also do you know if that strip club still hiring? Im looking to pick up some extra shifts.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Cool...so i wasn't overreacting. Guess my brother is just a lazy f***. I don't know what his deal is, he spent 4 yrs in the Army, made it as a Ranger, hard working always motivated. Got out about 6 months ago and just been sitting on the couch at my parents house ever since till they kicked him out, and he came to me...guess its time for me to throw him a subtle beating coz I don't want him to sit around a mess up my house every day

[ QUOTE ]
Also, also do you know if that strip club still hiring? Im looking to pick up some extra shifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the club where I hooked him up at, but I think Pacers/Dreamgirls (one of the DejaVu ones) was looking for people...but this was like 2 months ago. and they are good to work at...Deja in Hawaii bouncers got tipped out 8% plus hourly
Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 PM

make him pay rent, even if it's not a fair amount (eg. 5-10% at least).
Old 06-23-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make him pay rent, even if it's not a fair amount (eg. 5-10% at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

its my house..no mortgage left..but instead of rent he has to pay all the bills and buy his own food. so gas/electricity is about $120/mnth, cable/internet $140/month, phone $30/month...plus since he's using one of my cars he's gonna pay for that insurance and maintainance. It takes care of my bills and its only for one semester, plus i spent most of the year overseas so I don't mind this deal...but I told him that if he likes it here in SD then we're gonna have to sort out another deal after fall semester.