Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Movie, \"Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior\"

info here
rotton tomatoes.com
imdb.com

I am not the biggest fan of action flips recently though I saw this movie that came out a few years ago. One of the reviews says it best... "the only reason to see this is for the action. In that area, on a scale 1 to 10, it's a 20." Tony Jaa is the main actor, who is an expert at the martial art of Muay Thai. If you want to check this film out, it should be free HBO ondemand if you have it. It should be out on DVD as well.

anyone sceen this film? any comments?

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4aDPJxE6UgBCDGjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=14hboasn2/EXP=1151176195/**http%3a//us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/magnolia/ong_bak__the_thai_warrior/tony_jaa/ongbak1.jpg[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Movie, \"Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior\"

i saw this teaser a month or so ago

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/ong_bak.html

, and have been meaning to see it ever since. I put it on my netflix queue, So I will porbably see it sooner than later.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:40 PM

It's the best martial-arts movie I've ever seen. Of course the plot and acting suck but the action is jaw-dropping. There are even instant replays of the more badass stuff. Definitely worth checking out.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:40 PM

That review hits the nail on the head. The story is a far cry from good but the movie is incredibly watchable solely by virtue of the fight sequences, which are absolutely superb, even to someone (like me) who doesn't usually like kung fu movies.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:01 PM

I loved it. I've seen a decent amount of martial arts films, but wouldn't consider myself an expert, but this one is probably the best I've seen. The fighting is as realistic as an martial arts film can be(and in some cases pretty damn realistic) and I found it really cool that Muay Thai techniques were used a lot since generally we are used to Karate and Various forms of Kung Fu. Its also a very fun film to watch
Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM

I pretty much echo the thoughts of the other replies. The martial arts action really is incredible. Tony is awesome. I remember first watching the trailer of this with a friend, and we were being obnoxious about the highlights saying things like, "big deal" and "I can do that", but then it showed him doing those two super fast windmill kicks and we were both just so awe struck that all we could say was, "whoa!"
Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 PM

The review you read is wrong. It's much higher than a 20.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:45 PM

I saw it and loved it. Sure the plot sucked and the dubbing was pretty bad, but the fighting is amazing. It's unlike any other martial arts film I've ever seen and I've seen a lot. Instead of a flashy kick and the camera angle changes and the other guy goes flying back, it show up close heinous blows to people. Like kneeing a guy in the chest when he's already in the air and changing his trajectory or jumping and kneeing a guy in the head. So many of the the blows in that movie made me say like "Jesus Christ" or "[censored] hell". The acrobatic moves were cool too. The fighting in that movie was just awesome. Good violence.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:11 AM

I loved this movie as well. It's right up there with PROJECT A 2 as one of the great stunt driven (as opposed to effects driven) action films. Fans of action movies will definitely want to check this one out.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 AM

2 thumbs up