Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Bet Pot Button

Having played at a site without a bet pot button for the last 200k hands I recently started playing on a site with one again. I have noticed that I am having to make some strategic tweeks. Here are a couple thoughts:

1) Bets are much bigger PF with limpers and almost always 3.5x without.

This makes it easy to play in position but terrible to play something like a low PP in early or middle to position. I am getting tired of limping with 33 after a limper or two and then some weak, medium stack pots it behind for 10% of his stack. Without the "bet-pot" button there was a tendancy for weaker players to not adjust their PF raises to pot size.

2) PF 3-bets are much bigger on average.

With 100bb stacks weaker players no longer give good odds to crack their bigger hands. Let's say I raise with 66 or 89s in CO, button calls, and BB hits the "bet-pot" button. The bet is now 290 where previously this bet tended to hover around 200. Makes it tricky to play very aggressive opponents making me have a tendancy to weak-tighten up.

3) Flop continuation bets are almost always pot size.

This makes it a bit harder to float, changes the dynamic of the checkraise, increases the value of not reraising AA PF, etc.....

4) Flop raises and check-raises do not use "bet-pot" button.

Players who seem to love the bet-pot button stop using it in these spots. Probably because of the strength of their hand and this is no different than no "bet-pot" button games.

5) In medium pots, river bets tend to be pot size.

Not a huge difference, but inducing bluffs goes up in value and value betting medium strength hands is a little trickier because of the following reason.

6) Less than "bet-pot" bets are seen as weak.

I have noticed a tendancy for people to jump all over less than pot-bets.

So really none of these is mind-blowing but when you add them all up the game is a lot different. One point is that people who overplay hands PF (many LAGS included) I think would do worse in a bet-pot game and those monkeys who can't fold an overpair can negate some their weakness by bloating the pots PF (these players would get stacked anyways so the faster rate at which the pot size increases doesn't matter).

I am still undecided but I think for the more skilled player, the bet-pot button decreases profitibilty. What do you guys think?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Bet Pot Button

[ QUOTE ]

Players who seem to love the bet-pot button stop using it in these spots. Probably because of the strength of their hand and this is no different than no "bet-pot" button games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst my experience w/ the bet pot button is limited, from what I have seen this is not true.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:25 PM

Location: \"If it shows their cards why did you keep betting?\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst my experience w/ the bet pot button is limited, from what I have seen this is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I haven't seen this as true either. Flop raises, checkraises, and 3bets preflop are all huge (and never based on hand strength) when playing on a site that uses the bet pot button.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still undecided but I think for the more skilled player, the bet-pot button decreases profitibilty. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this. A lot of bad players probably play better with it by accident, but at the same time I'm sure some play worse. On UB you have these lagtard idiots who just pot pot pot pot every street with hands that can't really stand heat, or stone bluffs, or whatever. There are clearly better ways to play their hands, but they choose to go nuts and inflate the pot with marginal hands.