Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 14
Dance Dance Revolution 37 25.87%
Tekken 3 106 74.13%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2006, 03:16 AM

Default Life\'s A Bluff - THE Poker comic!

I am not much of a poster but I learn everyday from what I read around here. I appreciate everything about this site and what you guys offer the community. Hopefully this is considered as my way of giving back.

I want to introduce you all to a new web comic I am doing about poker, Life's A Bluff. I have worked for quite some time to make sure something like this was done right. Some of you may even recognize the artist.

I figure most of you will appreciate it and I need all of your feedback. Ultimately it is going to be the readers who decide the direction of the comic.

I refer to Life's A Bluff as the FIRST true poker webcomic. I know there have been some attempts but there is next to nothing being done. We hope to fill that void.

Please take a second to check out the launch comic. We will be updating every Thursday. There are however (Wild-card) days where we will randomly be putting out stuff. We have tons of content we are eager to trickle out. In fact, tomorrow morning is our first wildcard so check for a new strip!

Check out the first comic here, A Day In The Life

And again... feedback needed!

Life's A Bluff, deal with it!
www.lifesabluff.com
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Life\'s A Bluff - THE Poker comic!

I like the way it's drawn, but I didn't think this strip was very good. It has a nice opening, and I'm wondering what the twist will be -- you start off with a guy obsessed with poker, thinking about it every second of his miserable day. So where's the joke? All that happens is he goes home and plays. Horribly anti-climactic; there's no punchline at all.

What would be funny is if he logged onto PartyPoker and started day-dreaming about fast-food deep-fryers. Or girls.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 AM

Make sure you keep checking back. The first strip was just an intro comic to set tone and mood. It really wasn't meant to be funny. I wanted to convey a possible day we all could relate to. Each panel was also meant to be taken however the reader intended to take it.

But I did laugh at your idea. That might have been a better ending for some. lol Keep the feedback coming! It will be a big help to let us know what you guys want to see.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 AM

Nice artwork. Hopefully, the content will be up to par.

Funny thing is, you could prolly come up with a ton of stuff that would be inside jokes to 2+2'er's, but others would never get it.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM

I agree with joker about the first one, that it didn't really have a punchline, but you explained it so it's cool.

The second one made me chuckle a little when the guy said "You know, if you kill me, you'll still owe 800 in total rent." The other dialog made it feel like that should have been the punchline, as the last couple lines were pretty predictable.

I really like the art and I think this has a lot of potential. I'll check back in the future.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 PM

I'm guessing you're going for something like ctrlaltdel for poker players, which isn't really that punchline oriented, more character based. In that case I guess I disagree with the other posters...don't worry about making it wildly funny, just stick to establishing the characters as unique and interesting and witty and eventually that kind of humor will build an audience. Good luck with that...it's not my cuppa tea, but your art is excellent.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:47 PM

We are going to try and balance that fine line. There may be days where you have to be in the know to get a joke. But we hope to keep it open to everyone.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM

We have some set characters but if any of you have seen yirmumah.net you can get an idea of what sort of comics to expect. We have an overall goal for the characters but they will be molded day to day and with the help of the readers.

Also expect to see those days where the characters are not even involved.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Looks great, I like it =)
Old 06-23-2006, 08:18 PM

The 2nd comic comes dangerously close to feeling like a penny arcade ripoff.