Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 AM

Default Push OK here ?

$5R on Stars…29 left. No reads on UTG+1, UTG limped A4s before and called an all-in from a short stack. I though I might have some FE here and might pick up some dead money, I don’t think he’s trapping with some big hand. Call, Fold …Push??

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20000 with t1000 antes (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t423657)
UTG+1 (t316456)
MP1 (t257604)
Hero (t142168)
CO (t174781)
Button (t297994)
SB (t262406)
BB (t421639)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t20000, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20000, <font color="red">Hero raises to t141168 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to t422657 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>
Old 06-23-2006, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Push OK here ?

Yeah, this is good.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 AM

Fine as played.

And UTG had Ax again?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM

I do not like. You have 7bb's and 2 people that limped in front of you. It's entirely possible that you will have to win a showdown here, not to mention you still have 3 others to act behind you.

You can gain so many more chips by being first in. Ever since I've started playing first in pushbotting I have had excellent results. The few times that I go against this and shove from BB after even 1 limper, my results tend to suffer and I always say that I won't do this again without rock solid reads.

Their are plenty of chips to pick up by simply being the first in the pot. This is not a good opportunity as KJo can be easily dominated. It also hurts your metagame for future pushbotting.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG limped A4s before and called an all-in from a short stack. I though I might have some FE here

[/ QUOTE ]

These 2 statements are somewhat contadictory.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 PM

They're all folding here approximately never given your read and the pot odds they'll be getting. I don't like this but it might actually be slightly +cEV, especially if there's some chance one of the limpers is bad enough to call with something you dominate like QJs. I think it comes down to how big you think UTG's range is here. Against decent players this push sucks a lot because you're getting called by hands that dominate you too much.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
might actually be slightly +cEV

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't imagine this to be true without running some numbers. You are 8-handed, with 6 players left to act, 2 of which said they have some kind of hand by limping, 1 of those which will call with Ax and everyone of the players left to act have you covered. I really can't imagine this being even slightly +EV.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I agree with rockin here. The push is fine if you are the first in. One of the values in pushing is folding equity. With limpers in the pot, especially one who you have seen with loose calling standards, you lose that folding equity.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 PM

/agree with rockin

Dump this hand. KJ sucks following others who have expressed interest in the pot.

--TFGoose
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM

I think it's a great play. You are the short stack and almost in a desperate situation, and YET you have a huge amount of FE on everybody. You are basically putting a squeeze play on the 2 limpers. If UTG was limping a monster, well, them's the breaks.