Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Competition in 1500 limit WSOP event.

Hey all,
I'm going to be in Vegas during this event (July 6th I think) and may take a shot. From those that have participated in similar events in the past, what is the competition like. I'm a grinder of 3/6 6 max party, have had solid success over a solid sample size and i feel comfortable playing a bit higher, but the 3/6 tables are always incredibly good. What percentile could I expect to be in for this tourney given this.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Competition in 1500 limit WSOP event.

no offense... but we are talking about two totally different skill sets. Tournament play against a random assembly of great and horrible players vs. multi-table grinding? That's a huge jump.

That being said... I recommend anyone give it a shot if the $1,500 isn't a huge hit to your overall bottom line.

If you play absurdly tight AND double up early (they give you shiat for starting chips)... you'll probably fininsh somewhere in the middle of the field. That's the downside.

The upside is if the deck hits you in the face while also playing absurdly tight... you go on to win the event... some rich guy comes out of the wood work to stake you in the main event... deck returns to slap you in the face again and you win all your coinflips... you win 7.5 million for your measly investment of $1,500... kind of like working for Enron.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The upside is if the deck hits you in the face while also playing absurdly tight... you go on to win the event... some rich guy comes out of the wood work to stake you in the main event...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you win an event, you don't need a rich guy to back you.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:28 AM

The $1500 limit event will have the most 2+2ers of any event.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 PM

The blessing and curse of limit tournaments is that the vast majority of players are people that have significantly more NL tournament experience than limit tournament experience.

I don't think you can transfer success at 3/6 to approximate your standing amongst this type of field. But, if you get your share of good hands and don't chase for the first day and a half, you may find yourself in the neighborhood of getting paid.