Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 AM

Default \"Maverick\" syndrome...

Let me preface this by saying this has never happened to me before. Am I losing my nerve?

Sat down and opened a modest 3 tables of NL100 6 max (totally normal) Got JJ on one of the tables and raised up to 4, dude reraises to 8, I call. Flop is J 10 4. He bets 25 I shove, he calls with AA. Predictable. River is an Ace and I get stacked in the first hand. Still, this is totally normal.

The difference is, I got really nervous afterwards. Usually I tilt a little, but not this time. I played well and got the money back quickly between the three tables. But once I was up like 20 bucks, I quit. I felt weird. Anxious. I cant explain it, I've never felt this way in poker, even when I take shots with a higher % of bankroll. Im rolled for NL100 and it wasnt the money. I think I was a little disgusted that I would be playing from in the hole, AGAIN. (This happens to me alot.) But I once I dug out, I couldnt keep playing.

I dont think I even have a question or anything, but now I dont even want to play again tonight (hence the maverick syndrome thing...i dont want to get back in the jet and fly again) I just feel weird.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: \"Maverick\" syndrome...

[ QUOTE ]
it wasnt the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

YET

[ QUOTE ]
But I once I dug out, I couldnt keep playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You SURE it wasn't the money? Why the need to "dig out" before quitting? You cannot "sense" a run of bad cards and avoid it. Is that what you're trying to do tonight? To avoid losing what you would have been "destined" to lose tonight had you continued playing?

With that being said, I like the fact that you're packing it up because you're feeling as though your game is just "off". It doesn't need to make sense. But please don't feel like you are somehow dodging a predestined cooler. It doesn't work that way.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it wasnt the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

YET

[ QUOTE ]
But I once I dug out, I couldnt keep playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You SURE it wasn't the money? Why the need to "dig out" before quitting? You cannot "sense" a run of bad cards and avoid it. Is that what you're trying to do tonight? To avoid losing what you would have been "destined" to lose tonight had you continued playing?

With that being said, I like the fact that you're packing it up because you're feeling as though your game is just "off". It doesn't need to make sense. But please don't feel like you are somehow dodging a predestined cooler. It doesn't work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great response.....I think you hit the nail on the head here. I have been in the OP's position before and have done the same thing. The bottom line is this.....Poker is psychological warfare and money is the scorecard. We all now that ideally we have to be emotionless poker robots making the highest EV decision over and over again, ignoring bottom line. But we are human, and sometimes the money DOES mean something to us, and sometimes we ARE NOT psychologically prepared to FIGHT and to take a punch right in the jaw and hold our composure. Sometimes a beat hits, and we inevitabley feel that letdown, and say to ourselves, "oh no ,not again....not another one of those nights where nothing goes right".....and then..... bam, self fullfilling prophecy.
Bottom line......you were not prepared mentally to do battle that night, the money did mean something to you, you quit to avoid booking a loss, and it probably was a good idea, because we all know about scared money. The good thing is that there is always another day.....you could wake up the next day and feel more prepared to do battle. Remember, you are a poker machine....correct DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS.......forget about booking wins losses....absolute wasted energy. Good luck. I mean.....good DECISIONS.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the responses. I played 2 tables of NL100 for an hour and felt fine. I didnt start out with a nasty beat and things were ok. I'll work on thinking about it as decisions though.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:33 PM

great responses! im hitting a really cool patch but in Theory Of Poker it says "everytime your opponent plays his cards incorrectly (as though he doesnt know what your cards are) you make money." this is very difficult because the same as s may catch all night or you may even be down for (?), well i dont know b/c this has been a long one so far, but eventually if you get your money in good you will be making money from those good hands. "if it wasnt for luck i'd win'em all"
Old 06-24-2006, 01:14 AM

Instead of thinking in terms of results, think of hands in terms of EV. This helps me a lot.

Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4c Td Jh
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ad Ah 101 10.20 889 89.80 0 0.00 0.102
Jc Jd 889 89.80 101 10.20 0 0.00 0.898

Ok I just said what ImprovinNewbie said, maybe I should read before I post.