Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM

Default terribly played KK

I think this is one of the worst hands I've played in a while; looking back I see at least three lines I prefer to the one I took, but wondered what others thought.

8 players left in a two-table 11$ stars sit-n-go. Blinds at 100/200/25 ante. I've been stealing a fair bit since antes appeared, generally raising to 700 and taking the pot, though I've been known to c-bet through the tournament.

UTG with ~t7000, I raise to 700 with KK. SB (t4000) calls. Flop is AAx rainbow. SB checks, I check. Turn is a blank. SB checks, I bet 800 into a pot of 1800. SB min-raises. I call. River is a blank. SB pushes. I fold.

I can remember justifying every decision at the time as +EV, but hate my line as a whole, and definitely think I was on tilt/playing scared.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: terribly played KK

I check the turn too and call a modest bet on river.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Yeah, no bets on the flop or turn might induce a bluff from a non ace, and would induce a smaller value bet from the ace. Check the turn.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 PM

I would bet this flop. By checking, you allow the SB to take over the betting lead throughout the rest of the hand. If he calls your bet, proceed with caution. A lot of times, you are way ahead here.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Here are the lines I think I had as options:

1) Bet the flop and shut down to any further action, except possibly a river bet. This is Mi_T's line.

2) Check behind on the flop and turn, call a reasonable bet on the river or bet if checked to. This line has also been suggested.

3) Check the flop, bet-3bet the turn. This line makes it easy for villain to make a mistake by putting me on AK and folding a smaller ace. Villain's min-raise may well be a bluff or a raise for information, since all I've done post-flop is show relative weakness.

4) Check the flop, bet-call the turn, call the river all-in. My bet-call on the turn now looks really weak and if I'm villain I'd push the river no matter what. I'm getting very good odds to call here and I'm not very far behind his range.

5) Be a donk and lose a big pot with KK without getting to showdown.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5) Be a donk and lose a big pot with KK without getting to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if the way you played was the best, but it wasn't that terrible. If he has AK/AQ, wouldn't you likely check the flop and bet half pot on the turn? The miniraise and the river push looks like trip aces to me.

You can decide to check/fold this or you can decide to put your money in regardless. If you are taking an in between route, your line looks reasonable. It is difficult not to put some money in to find out where villain stands.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) Check the flop, bet-3bet the turn. This line makes it easy for villain to make a mistake by putting me on AK and folding a smaller ace. Villain's min-raise may well be a bluff or a raise for information, since all I've done post-flop is show relative weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain will almost never fold a worse ace. BTW check turn call a decent river bet.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 PM

I don't bet the flop because many times lower pairs will call, and slowplayed aces will do the same so we have no indication of where we are at in the hand. Checking takes us one step closer to showdown.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the encouragement betgo. Truth is this hand came late in a pretty lousy run, wherein I felt like I made a lot of good +EV decisions and yet kept on losing. This was one hand where I felt like I misplayed pretty bad, so I'm glad to see that there's not necessarily an obvious better play.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 AM

I can see where you think you might be ahead when 2 aces hit as opposed to 1, but the min raise also looks to me like "hey come play some more streets with me, i have trips." The flat call from the small blind could easily be a baby ace, or even a small PP of the x that hit on the flop. I play this hand passively, getting to the river asap with a small pot.