Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Default When to play a hand

A few questions:

Ignoring table position, how do you determine when to play a hand. I have been using hand rank, but I am trying to figure out what is the lowest hand rank that I should play, what what is the lowest hand rank when I should raise.

After the flop, I have been using pot odds vs. win odds up to the river. For the last bet, I am looking at the other players betting action vs. my hand and saying a prayer.

I have been winning small amounts, but is there a better way...

Also during the flop, turn, and river. is there a cut-off regarding when a win percentage is l;ow even though the pot odds say to call...

BTW, I would have used question marks for the above questions, but my 2 year old stole the key...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: When to play a hand

Welcome to the forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Ignoring table position

[/ QUOTE ]

You really can't ignore position. What hands you play where will be influenced by position.

Before we can really tell you much, can you tell us what you've been playing? I'm assuming hold'em, but are you playing limit or no-limit? Also, you mention hand ranking; are you using a starting hand chart? If so, which one?

The answer to most of your questions are going to be "it depends". Sometimes you'll want to raise a hand that in other situations you'll be calling or even folding. Poker is a situational game.

Regarding odds. When you say "win odds" are you referring to the odds that you'll make your hand? Because sometimes you make your hand and not win, so we need to clear that up.

[ QUOTE ]

Also during the flop, turn, and river. is there a cut-off regarding when a win percentage is l;ow even though the pot odds say to call...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give an example of what you're getting at here?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ignoring table position, how do you determine when to play a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's difficult to answer your question given this stipulation, because position is such an important factor in determining when to play a hand. It's also one of the few mitigating factors that can be known (i.e., out of context, we don't know how the table or players at the table are playing; we don't know your image at the table; we don't know stack sizes or blinds; we don't know whether this is cash game or a tournament; etc.)

One concept you might want to study is the <u>gap concept</u> . You can do a search on this forum to see it discussed.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:50 PM

sorry about not providing all the info....

I've been playing SNG and NL holdem at .25 and .50 tables at Party Poker. I usually play 6 player tables. I've been using the software Calculatum Pro to provide me with the data. I do not follow its' reccomendations but use it just for the data.

Realizing that player position is important, what software can provide me the best advice.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been playing SNG and NL holdem at .25 and .50 tables at Party Poker. I usually play 6 player tables. I've been using the software Calculatum Pro to provide me with the data. I do not follow its' reccomendations but use it just for the data.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm getting from your posts is that you want to learn to play correctly. However, it also sounds like you're relying on software to help you and the software can't usually tell you the "whys" of a play - they just tend to tell you what the play is. And since the software can't assess a situation very well, the "what" is often incorrect.

The software you need to exercise is the software between your ears. Until you study, by reading books, reading the SSNL/STT forums and posting hands for comments, you won't understand the whys and you will struggle.

SNGs and small stakes NL are different things entirely. Advice for one may not be advice for the other.

I would suggest you pick something to concentrate on, either ring games or SNGs. Visit the appropriate forums here and look at the posts, the FAQs and any stickies at the top with book recommendations.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the answer that will get you want you want.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM

Many players here -- myself included -- would recommend GETTING STARTED IN HOLD'EM by Ed Miller. It primarily covers limit, but has good intro sections on STT, MTT and Cash NL.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better first book.