Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Which magical power would be more useful for hold \'em?

The ability to see all of your opponents hole cards, or the ability to see which community cards are coming.

I can see upsides and downsides to both. I think NL vs FL may alter the answer as well. What do you think?

Sorry if this has been asked before. My friend came up with this question on his own, but somehow I suspect he isn't the first person.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Which magical power would be more useful for hold \'em?

[ QUOTE ]
The ability to see all of your opponents hole cards, or the ability to see which community cards are coming.

I can see upsides and downsides to both. I think NL vs FL may alter the answer as well. What do you think?

Sorry if this has been asked before. My friend came up with this question on his own, but somehow I suspect he isn't the first person.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Hole cards, of course. You get to see the community cards when they are on the table so you have perfect information at that point.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:03 AM

Here's what knowing hole cards can do for you.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 AM

Everyone's hole cards and it isn't close.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Hole cards, of course. You get to see the community cards when they are on the table so you have perfect information at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about for no limit, where often times significant money goes in long before all of the cards are out? Sure, seeing your opponents hole cards would allow you to go in with an edge whenever possible, but you'd have no control over suckouts or draws that will hit against you and you'd still be losing money every time you raise the best hand pre-flop for value and everyone but you hits the flop.

If you could see all 5 community cards in advance, you'd be able to make absolutely sick calls and take advantage of many situations you'd never even think about normally. Just imagine the tilt you could put people on if you sucked out on them every time you decided to chase. Surely this is at least something to consider.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could see all 5 community cards in advance, you'd be able to make absolutely sick calls and take advantage of many situations you'd never even think about normally. Just imagine the tilt you could put people on if you sucked out on them every time you decided to chase. Surely this is at least something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure doing this enough times would result in an asskicking by people who think you're cheating. Knowing hole cards would not be nearly as obvious.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think NL vs FL may alter the answer as well. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to think hole cards for sure, but I think people are stuck thinking about playing poker. When you know the board, you don't have to play poker anymore.

In NL, imagine just shoving preflop anytime you're going to hit 2pair, trips or anything else that'll put AA and friends in a tizzy when they lose their stack. The problem here, of course, is that everyone figures out what your "power" is pretty quickly. I'm sure there are many even better strategies.

In limit, I still think it's better to know the board, especially in a higher stakes aggro game. Sure you can bluff great when you know he's on king high, but ace high calls you down sometimes, more if you're trying to win a really high percentage of the pots.

So in limit, knowing hole cards gets you to maximize value from your opponents, while knowing the future board gets you to win a ton of pots you otherwise can't even play. When you know what's coming on the board you're not really playing poker and you _never_ have to fold.

cheers,
-highland
Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 AM

^^So you'll know you're going to hit two pair, but you don't know you're opponenent is going to flop a set.

Trust me, it's hole cards.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
^^So you'll know you're going to hit two pair, but you don't know you're opponenent is going to flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple solution: Set mine

You'd always know when they're coming so you could always raise like mad pre-flop and confuse the [censored] out of people. Also, think about all of the funky straights, flushes and trips you could make with horrific cards. You wouldn't always have the nuts, but the rare times you run into bigger hands wouldn't come close to hurting the bottom line you'd create with all of your winners. One thing I know I would do is specialize in runner runners since they're almost never up against the same type of hand. You could even refine your requirements to be more of a nut peddler if you wish. Either way you will be a bit winner. So the decision seems close to me. If you pick hole cards, you will enter pots knowing you have a small edge and if you pick community cards, you'l enter pots knowing you have a huge edge. Community cards would certainly be more fun as well. No doubt about that.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM

If you pick hole cards you can sit there with pokerstove and play fundamental theorem of poker all day long.

I do agree that community cards would be funnier like omg top set vs 78 on A52 board how do you reraise me all in!"