Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 04:01 AM

Default Alternatives to Holdem?

Just a little background on myself. I am a 21 year old university student who plays varsity sports and considers poker like a hobby that I am able to play in my free time. I also thoroughly enjoy studying the game, lurking forums, books, discussing etc. I treat poker like it is just another class for me (if I had studied organic chemistry as much I may have better grades).

My question is this....If I am very eager to study, learn, play and try to master other forms of poker aside from the extremely popular holdem (stud, razz, o/8), is the overall profitability of these games better because they are filled w/ people who have no idea to their subtleties (ie. how they are different from holdem).

Basically are the more obscure forms of poker on the internet filled with people playing it for kicks or are they generally experienced sharks.

Thanks

Brett
Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Alternatives to Holdem?

BrettM,

If you like other forms of poker then master them. However, other than the very lowest limits there are few fish lurking in those waters. It is usually sharks, old time players who have found the games are still alive on the Internet or enthusiasts who have mastered the games. The only exception to what I have said is possibly seven card stud.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Yeah. Learn 7stud. Good stuff. Plenty of fish at the 2/4 and higher.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:11 PM

Try Omaha. Just Omaha; not H/L.
I usually play NLHE, but was starting to get burned out. I switched to Omaha, and have been loving it ever since.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:26 PM

Learning to play the other games will help your Holdem play. It's good to know the other games because it will open opportunities to profit in loose/bad games that aren't strictly hold'em. Overall though I say Holdem's where the money's at right now, so long as that's where all the new players are starting.