Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Good colleges for me?

Alright, I'm going to be a senior in HS next year, so I've started cracking down on colleges. I've come to OOT to help me with suggestions.

First, a little about me. I'm just a regular high school guy. I got a 2100 (720 Reading, 700 Math, 680 Writing) on my SAT and have a 98 GPA. I'm in NHS. I'm in virtually all AP classes. I'm a manager for our HS basketball team (those who can't ball, manage). I was in a language club for three years, but will not be taking it this upcoming year. I have a job as a server for a local restaurant, and have been acolyting for my church since 6th grade.

At this point, I'm not sure of what I want to do yet. I'm leaning towards some sort of writing, but it's all hearsay right now. What I'm looking for right now is a good liberal arts school where I would be free to pick and choose my classes, and maybe wait a couple of semesters before choosing my major. Weather isn't a big deal; I'm from Texas, so heat doesn't bother me, and I can deal with the cold. I'm looking to go out of state. So far, I've found two schools that really interest me: Bucknell University in PA, and the University of Chicago. I've been to many different cities in the US, and my favorites have been Chicago (where my brother goes to school at the Art Institute), San Diego, DC, and Seattle. I'd prefer a medium size school, probably nothing with more than around 15,000 students. Other than that, I'm not too picky at this point.

Any suggestions for schools or just general advice about applying to colleges would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Good colleges for me?

I have friends that go to Haverford and Swarthmore. They both like it there.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM

U of C is amazing, but its not the easiest school in the world to get into. if u miss the bus on that, UIC and Depaul are both really good schools also. and u dont need to make a decision on your major until at earliest sophomore year...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 PM

My cousin (and mother-and father-in-law) went to Bucknell and thoroughly enjoyed it. He made some excellent contacts there and parlayed his education into a very good job on Wall Street. He was in the business school so take that for what it's worth.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 PM

Northwestern could be a good option, I just finished here and its a good school in a lot of different areas which is good if you dont know what you want coming in. Its also just outside Chicago and the city is reasonable accessable via the el.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Northwestern could be a good option, I just finished here and its a good school in a lot of different areas which is good if you dont know what you want coming in. Its also just outside Chicago and the city is reasonable accessable via the el.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also looked at Northwestern, and have heard great things about it, but haven't really gotten to look at it as much as I want. I will.

Also, feel free to be honest about what schools you think I'd be able to have a reasonable chance to get into; you won't offend me if you tell me I probably won't be able to get into a certain school (ala Harvard).
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 PM

Georgetown. You seem like a good applicant for here, although its pretty competitive. DC is a great city to be young in, and GTown is the best school in the city (with GW a close second.) I'd recommend it highly.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Look into the Claremont Colleges ( Claremont McKenna or Pomona), and if you ever decide to go into something more techy, Harvey Mudd College is literally across the street, and you can take classes on any of those campuses.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:45 PM

The Claremont Colleges are Awesome Liberal Arts Colleges.

I went to Pomona College and absolutely loved it. Hard to beat a top 5 liberal arts school located in Sunny Southern California. The school is also the happiest place in the world. They throw money at everything and make sure everyone is happy.

Claremont McKenna - one of the sister schools - is also very good.

I would HIGHLY recommend these schools.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look into the Claremont Colleges ( Claremont McKenna or Pomona), and if you ever decide to go into something more techy, Harvey Mudd College is literally across the street, and you can take classes on any of those campuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I must have made my post at the same time as you. Did you go to one of the Claremont Colleges?

And I would pass on Harvey Mudd unless you like unicycles and underground tunnels.