Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM

Default 2/4 KK hand on button

The 2 limpers are fairly loose players and the BB is 18/11/2.1 with 110 hands played.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls $3 allin, Hero calls.

On the flop I elected to not reraise after getting checkraised because with this board I wanted to see what fell on the turn.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

I don't know if I messed this up or not. Should I have bet?

River: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between CO, Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by CO (8.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8d 7c (two pair, eights and sevens).
CO has Ac 4c (straight, eight high).
Hero has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: CO wins 8.25 BB. </font>

Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 2/4 KK hand on button

The BB C/R the flop because he wanted to protect his hand. That said, I wouldn't be very scared of the 5, since it probably scares him just as much as it scares you. I would expect to see something like A8 or something like that.

Also, bet the turn and the river.

P.S. Next time, don't include the results; it skews our responses.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 PM

Thanks Grease
Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Thinking about it from the BB's point of view, I would ask what is he checkraising here, and why? If he has a big draw or a good hand, why wouldn't he bet out, hoping to trap the players in the middle, and have you raise so he can 3-bet or whatever. Instead, on a draw heavy board like this, I would put him on maybe A-8 or something, or perhaps a small over pair like 99 or TT.

He might even check raise a decent draw, hoping that the flop didn't hit you and he can take the pot down with a turn bet. Since I don't put him on a very strong hand, I probably 3-bet the flop, especially since there is no one else left, and it's just you and he putting in money at that point.

I bet the turn here too, with the intention of folding to another check raise. If I bet the turn and he checks the river and am betting again. With this board, if he bets out the river, I'd have a harder decision. There is a decent chance I might fold the river if he bets into me again (especially since he's really betting into two players). Call me weak, but whatever.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 PM

I was going to say BB raised due to a flush or straight draw but that wouldn't make any sense. You would think he would lead the flop if he were on a draw against 4 players. He would have to be an idiot to raise the flop if he were on a draw because he needs at least one person to cold call the raise to make it a value raise. His stats don't imply idiot. So what could he have? Protecting an 8 or two pair? I bet the turn fold to a raise if he calls I also bet the river. You checking the turn allows him to bluff at it.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He would have to be an idiot to raise the flop if he were on a draw because he needs at least one person to cold call the raise to make it a value raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I would play something like a flush draw with overs this way. Notice too that many in the CO's spot will call with almost any two.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 PM

i would have 3bet the flop and bet the turn. he is an aggressive player whose raise could mean alot more than a hand that beats you.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 PM

I think bet/fold on the turn is appropriate. You don't want to give a free card to a flush draw or a pair you have beaten.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would have 3bet the flop and bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you're afraid to reraise because you want to see what falls on the turn? I'm assuming you're saying you want to wait to bet or raise, to make sure the turn isn't a 4-to-a-straight card...? If that's true, then you're not thinking correctly here. If that's what you think villain is drawing to, then you need to three-bet that flop and charge him for his draw. Your odds of winning are better than his if that's the hand he's waiting for. Get your cash in now.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i would have 3bet the flop and bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you're afraid to reraise because you want to see what falls on the turn? I'm assuming you're saying you want to wait to bet or raise, to make sure the turn isn't a 4-to-a-straight card...? If that's true, then you're not thinking correctly here. If that's what you think villain is drawing to, then you need to three-bet that flop and charge him for his draw. Your odds of winning are better than his if that's the hand he's waiting for. Get your cash in now.

[/ QUOTE ]

um. are you talking to me? i SAID 3 bet the flop and lead the turn.