Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 06:16 PM

Default NL$2 FR - Rivered straight on scary board

i think i played this hand pretty poorly on all streets. what is a better line? does anyone fold PF or on the turn? is my river raise/call bad here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($2.30)
MP3 ($2)
CO ($1.80)
Button ($1.78)
SB ($1.19)
BB ($4.13)
UTG ($3.91)
UTG+1 ($1.92)
MP1 ($1.98)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.06</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.06, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.15) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.06</font>, Hero calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.27) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

River: ($0.47) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.36</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1.7</font>, Hero calls $1.34.

Final Pot: $3.87
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: NL$2 FR - Rivered straight on scary board

The way it was played, it doesn't seem like he hit runner runner flush. It looks like he may have improved to 2 pair. My guess is that he's holding AJ
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 PM

i didn't put him on runner runner flush either, thats why i reraised the river, cause i figured i could get a little extra money out of a weaker hand. but his push threw me off a little, and i thought about it for 10-15 seconds before i called. do you guys think it was the right move?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 PM

My record with KQo isn't good when calling a raise preflop. At this level I think you can afford to let it go when you might be facing AK, AQ.

Strange betting pattern from villian, flop: 1/2pot, Turn: 1/3pot, River: 1/4pot

Flop: Hero calls with 3.5:1
Turn: Hero calls with 3.7:1
River: Hero could have called with 4.9:1

My read is that he has a flush draw and is trying to disguise it with weak bets. While pricing himself into the hand. Why not pot it on the flop (.18) and fold to a re-raise. If he calls and then checks the turn you can float the turn and try to hit your draw with a small pot. If he bets the turn, give it up.

River: Good odds to call-- why raise with the possible FD.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 PM

well, i don't like to play my draws super-aggressive which is why i didnt raise the flop, although since it was fairly dry maybe i should have, but i don't really think i'm folding out top pair here anyway so it seems like raising is just bloating the pot.

i also think i probably should have called the river instead of raising it, but i didn't figure him for a runner runner flush, and i think a set of sixes would be betting harder.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 PM

Hero does have position, why not use the advantage. I guess I was thinking the raise on the flop can keep the pot about the same by buying a float on the turn with the raise. The way it went Hero put in 16 on the flop and turn, so the pot would be about the same if the turn gets checked through and it might give hero an idea how committed the villian is to the hand. It also gives villian a chance to fold something like KJ or 65d.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:28 PM

but how do we know he's checking the turn? are you thinking that cause of his weak bet on the flop hes got a marginal hand that hes willing to give up? like i said i'm not sure a reraise is getting him off of AJ, KJ, QJ, etc. and if we do raise, and the turn is checked and comes a blank, do we bet out again? what if it's called and the river misses?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM

This is the kind of hand where I'm trying to keep the pot small because it's so hard to know if I'm ahead or behind.

&gt;&gt;but how do we know he's checking the turn?&lt;&lt;
We don't know for sure. If villian fires out a pot sized bet on the turn, we can fold. If he underbets again we can reevaulate our outs.

&gt;&gt;are you thinking that cause of his weak bet on the flop hes got a marginal hand that hes willing to give up?&lt;&lt;
I don't think 1/2pot is that weak, but if he calls a raise, that certainly shows strength and helps define the villian's hand. On the flop we don't know how the turn and river are going to be played, so we only know he raised preflop UTG and lead the flop which could easily be a continuation bet with AK, AQ two hands we really want to fold to avoid being dominated when a K or Q falls on the turn/river leading to hard decision.

&gt;&gt;like i said i'm not sure a reraise is getting him off of AJ, KJ, QJ, etc. and if we do raise, and the turn is checked and comes a blank, do we bet out again?&lt;&lt;

It gives him the chance to fold and gives him a good reason to the check the turn unimproved. I only bet the turn if I hit the draw. If he checks, then I check unimproved and I go to the river with the same pot as I got with a call/call plus the bonus of giving him the chance to fold.

&gt;&gt;the river misses?
If he checks the turn and the river, I might be willing to bluff the river, but if he bets when I miss, it's an easy fold.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 PM

well, i definitley see the logic in what you're saying about raising the flop to scare off a marginal hand, but i'm not sure if i agree fully.

anyway as it turned out, villain had AA and filled up on the river [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i played this hand pretty poorly on all streets. what is a better line? does anyone fold PF or on the turn? is my river raise/call bad here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($2.30)
MP3 ($2)
CO ($1.80)
Button ($1.78)
SB ($1.19)
BB ($4.13)
UTG ($3.91)
UTG+1 ($1.92)
MP1 ($1.98)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.06</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.06, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.15) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.06</font>, Hero calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.27) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

River: ($0.47) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.36</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1.7</font>, Hero calls $1.34.

Final Pot: $3.87

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not crazy about the preflop call, but as played, I raise the flop. You have position; punish Villian. Force him to make a decision here. If he calls and checks the turn, check behind with your draw. If he bets the turn, I fold.

After the board pairs on the turn, and the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits the river, I want a cheap showdown, so I just call the river bet. We're beat by a flush or a boat, but that river bet is enticing us to call.