Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Definition of God

Please state whether you are atheistic, theistic, or agnostic, and provide a short description of your loosest definition of what would constitute a god. Then, if you want, comment on the follow up query.

I think this is a critical foundation with the abundance of God posts made in this forum, in particular because so many atheists see drawing any belief without evidence to be completely ridiculous/insane/stupid.

---

I am currently agnostic, though I feel someday, this most likely will change.

I know a lot of people say something to the effect of, "I don't necessarily believe in God, but I think there's a higher power." Is there a difference?

While I see the belief in a conscious, judging God who would sentence someone to eternal damnation for masturbating as a bit silly, I do lean towards believing in the cliched higher power - something perhaps beyond our observable universe.

---

A follow up query: is the idea of this inpercievable higher power ridiculous?

I really don't feel it is. One of the very basic characteristics of nature is that for every cause there is an effect, and for every effect there was a cause. Every ounce of logic I have tends to agree with the concept of causality. Extrapolating causality unto the cosmos, it actually seems logical to expect that there was something preceding our universe and that caused our existence.

Of course, as I said, I am only leaning toward this view point. There are a couple of things to be said that could dismiss this belief. First of all, the idea of causality is definitely open for debate on a quantum level. I won't even go into this, as I am not completely sure about how that stuff works, but the idea of matter seemingly randomly popping in and out of existence does throw a wrench into things. Also, there is a problem with extrapolating causality. It's simple; when or where do you stop? If X was responsible for creating the universe, then what was responsible for creating X, and so on and so on.

Anyways, these are the things that come to my mind when I visit this forum. I hope this thread doesn't turn into just another thread where everyone is shouting at eachother without listening to eachother.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Definition of God

for what it's worth, in the philosophy of religion God is typically defined as an all powerful, all knowing, morally perfect being. if He didn't posses these attributes, could he still be considered God?

perhaps it's necessary to make a distinction between the God of Abraham and Isaac and the God of the philosophers.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of people say something to the effect of, "I don't necessarily believe in God, but I think there's a higher power." Is there a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

The philosophy of religion/Christan God is usually defined as a "3O" God--omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent.

[ QUOTE ]
While I see the belief in a conscious, judging God who would sentence someone to eternal damnation for masturbating as a bit silly, I do lean towards believing in the cliched higher power - something perhaps beyond our observable universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this will stand up as a definition. What about some unobservable extradimensional tachyons? They aren't even sentient.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, as I said, I am only leaning toward this view point. There are a couple of things to be said that could dismiss this belief. First of all, the idea of causality is definitely open for debate on a quantum level. I won't even go into this, as I am not completely sure about how that stuff works, but the idea of matter seemingly randomly popping in and out of existence does throw a wrench into things. Also, there is a problem with extrapolating causality. It's simple; when or where do you stop? If X was responsible for creating the universe, then what was responsible for creating X, and so on and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignoring the fact that the best explanation that modern science can come up with is one where the principle of sufficient reason is false, how are you going to answer the second objection? If you reply that there was no cause for God, then you have two contradictory premises.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you reply that there was no cause for God, then you have two contradictory premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. I guess existence itself is sort of paradoxical.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:38 PM

I'm not sure if its sufficent but a necessary part of my definition of a god is:

A being who can make things happen simply by an act of their will.

My atheist/agnostic statement:
The possibility of god(s) cannot be ruled out.
There is no reason to believe in god(s)
I don't believe in any god(s)

[ QUOTE ]
Then, if you want, comment on the follow up query.

I think this is a critical foundation with the abundance of God posts made in this forum, in particular because so many atheists see drawing any belief without evidence to be completely ridiculous/insane/stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing ridiculous/insane/stupid in having faith as long as there no deception/pretence that it is reason rather than faith.

chez
Old 06-19-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please state whether you are atheistic, theistic, or agnostic, and provide a short description of your loosest definition of what would constitute a god. Then, if you want, comment on the follow up query.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not have a definition of God; However I will adopt other people’s usage for the purposes of one off discussions.

As I do not have a definition of God, I do not consider myself either an atheistic, agnostic or theist.