Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Something very important i want to have a discussion about..

We all know the stories that are told about the "balls" that gamblers or poker players have, and the shots they take to "see what the f*ck they've got"...according to poolhall junkies anyways.

I play 2/4 full ring for my sole income, and am still young in this endeavor. Sparked by pride, or inspiration , or something of the sort, this morning i accepted a heads up challenge from a complete maniac sitting 3 handed with me at a 2/4 full ring table i was trying to start.

I have turned down many challenges in the past. I dont know what was different about today. This guy was obviously just a weekend rec player, with some gamble in him. I was thinking to myself that i surely didnt have enough guts if i wouldnt take this guy up on his offer. That, or maybe i've just been reading too much of Brunson's wisdom lately.

He asked me to go to a 5/10 table with him. Im not a huge fan of rake heads up, so i came to the idea that a $100 HU sng would be better off, since i wouldnt have to have as great of an edge to get this guys money, as opposed to having to beat him AND the rake over enough hands to take his money.

We played. I lost.

It doesn't matter how i lost, but my question for you all is this:

Im a 2/4 player playing on $2,000. I essentially just wagered 1/20th of my bankroll against a guy i've never met, and am only 80% sure was a horrible player. For all i know, it could be a setup.(it definitely wasnt...this time.)

How many of you think that i made a bad decision? And if so, why? I want to have the guts to take angles when i see them. It's just that hindsight is 20/20, and it's not the $100 im worried about so much as my decision making.

I'll definitely chime in with other questions you have to gain your answer. I'd just like to clarify that im not making a beat post about losing $100, which is not much money. I hope that much is obvious.

My question is exactly how much gamble do you think a good professional needs in him, while balancing himself against a risk of ruin or a high variance situation?

Please, dont flame. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Something very important i want to have a discussion about..

Wow. That was a terrible idea. If your roll is only 2k and you're playing as your sole source of income, you should have very little gamble in you, and all grind. HU is extremely swingy, and even though he is a total donk, he can easily beat you. If you had 5k or so, and felt like gambling, fine, but 2k is waay too little to risk it against a donkey.

Take angles when you want +EV at a high variance. Right now, you should want +EV with as little variance as possible.

I don't think there's any grey area for your situation.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM

if you are better than him, and can beat him at a greater rate than you can beat a full table, playing him heads up is the correct thing to do.

How much you play him for depends on how important your bankroll is. If you can't afford to lose it, 1/20th is probably a bit high.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I play 2/4 full ring for my sole income

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He asked me to go to a 5/10 table with him. Im not a huge fan of rake heads up, so i came to the idea that a $100 HU sng would be better. We played. I lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Im a 2/4 player playing on $2,000. I essentially just wagered 1/20th of my bankroll against a guy i've never met, and am only 80% sure was a horrible player. For all i know, it could be a setup.(it definitely wasnt...this time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How many of you think that i made a bad decision? And if so, why? I want to have the guts to take angles when i see them. It's just that hindsight is 20/20, and it's not the $100 im worried about so much as my decision making.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you're playing full-table, 2/4 limit HE as your sole source of income makes me think that you're already used to making bad decisions in your life.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you're playing full-table, 2/4 limit HE as your sole source of income makes me think that you're already used to making bad decisions in your heretofore young life.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you criticize me working a retail job for $8.50/hour 40 hours a week rather than this?

I'm 20 years old. Extremely little bills. I could probably live on 1/2, if need be.

Your questioning of how i choose to create income, rather than discussing my dilemma at hand, is extremely insulting.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:08 PM

While in college I was a fixture in the pool hall.
I played 9 ball for $2-$4/rack and made some good coin as a B player.

One day this total stranger walks in the door. Challenges me to play 8 ball for $5-$10/rack.
I suggest we play a race to ten for $100. I lost. ?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you're playing full-table, 2/4 limit HE as your sole source of income makes me think that you're already used to making bad decisions in your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I think this is funny, because it describes me perfectly.

"I just graduated college, should I get a real job? [censored] that, play poker!"

FWIW, I'm going to grad school in the fall, so this isn't a life bad-beat.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you're playing full-table, 2/4 limit HE as your sole source of income makes me think that you're already used to making bad decisions in your heretofore young life.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you criticize me working a retail job for $8.50/hour 40 hours a week rather than this?

I'm 20 years old. Extremely little bills. I could probably live on 1/2, if need be.

Your questioning of how i choose to create income, rather than discussing my dilemma at hand, is extremely insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

What "dilemma"? You dropped $100 playing a heads-up match. You could easily drop $100 running bad for a few hours playing 2/4.

FWIW, rather than worrying about this $100, maybe you should be worrying about how difficult it is to make a living playing live 2/4...although, since you said that you have few bills, I'm assuming that you're not actually supporting yourself, anyway, so your question more properly refers to bankroll preservation. Finally, why aren't you at least playing 4/8, where the rake/toke combo isn't so oppressive, and the opposition still likely pretty bad?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While in college I was a fixture in the pool hall.
I played 9 ball for $2-$4/rack and made some good coin as a B player.

One day this total stranger walks in the door. Challenges me to play 8 ball for $5-$10/rack.
I suggest we play a race to ten for $100. I lost. ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're trying to say, but i dont understand it.

A few key differences being: Im not foreign to HU sng's, so it's not like im playing his game. I chose it, not him.

He's not a complete stranger. I just watched him blow about 100 big bets, capping with high cards on scary boards for even a set.

It was for 26 big bets. The Stars reload im in the process of clearing is worth 30 by itself.

I dont like to be defensive about what happened. Im curious as to how it's a terrible idea though. I constantly over and over read about how taking a shot in a higher game every now and then keeps you on your toes.

How different is this to any of you if i told you i won?

Iunno, just something to think about.

I think it makes for a good discussion. And to further that note, if he asked me to do it, i'd give serious consideration to playing again.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What "dilemma"? You dropped $100 playing a heads-up match. You could easily drop $100 running bad for a few hours playing 2/4.

FWIW, rather than worrying about this $100, maybe you should be worrying about how difficult it is to make a living playing live 2/4...although, since you said that you have few bills, I'm assuming that you're not actually supporting yourself, anyway, so your question more properly refers to bankroll preservation. Finally, why aren't you at least playing 4/8, where the rake/toke combo isn't so oppressive, and the opposition still likely pretty bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I already mentioned it's not the $100, but the principle of the matter. A 100 big bet swing is $400 where i play. It's not the money. I really tried to clarify that.

B) I dont play live. Dont know where you got that. I play 4-6 tables of 2/4 full ring on Party normally, as well as Stars right now for this silly little reload.

C) My bills are none of your business. I am in fact supporting myself, but i have a roommate that cuts everything in half for me. Please dont dwell on my real life financial situation. I dont ask for your ridicule in this matter, although i appreciate your gesture to an extent.