Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Default KK check-fold

Opponent is somewhat aggressive, but I havent seen him do anything real crazy/bad in maybe 200 hands. How could I play the turn better? I checked it with the intention of calling a bet, but then his bet seemed somehow strange and I just had to fold. Do you think Bet-Fold is better here? What if he calls again, Bet-Fold nonscary river? Check-Call scary river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($197)
SB ($221.25)
BB ($344.54)
Hero ($200)
MP ($150)
CO ($421.14)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, MP calls $8, CO calls $8, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($33) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, MP folds, CO calls $22, BB folds.

Turn: ($77) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $41</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $118
Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: KK check-fold

Think I would bet this turn ~40-50 and give up on riv.

It's the only way you can win this hand since you have decided there's a good chance you're behind.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:59 PM

How could I win this hand that way? I dont think any better hand folds here. Maybe I could fold out some worse hands, which I actually would like in this situation. But what if a hand likes 77 calls the turn and I check the river? I fear this opponent doesnt let me have a cheap showdown.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:03 PM

I don't mind a bet/fold on turn. River is tough if he calls though, I'd probably c/f most of the time. Don't talk yourself out of a c/c when opponent makes a weird bet, unless its an overbet.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:04 PM

If a hand like 77 just calls this turn he's a real dumsky...How can 77 call this turn bet ever??

Would you call this turnbet with anything less then trips, straight? Maybe a 10 could call here, but remember, he had to call your flop bet too...
Old 06-17-2006, 04:06 PM

I still bet turn. If he has 99 or 88 he'll most likely be raising you here. And you still get TT,QQ and maybe some worse hands to come along. By checking he could be betting TT,QQ,A9,J9, among others your ahead of w/ him thinking you made a missed cbet. I would probably call down the way you played it.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind a bet/fold on turn. River is tough if he calls though, I'd probably c/f most of the time. Don't talk yourself out of a c/c when opponent makes a weird bet, unless its an overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx all for your answers.

The general consensus seems to be bet/fold turn is best. If the turn bet gets called, I check-fold most rivers right? One last question: Is there a real big difference between check-fold turn and Bet/Fold Turn? Like check-fold is a donkey play, and Bet/Fold is standard? Or is it rather a marginal decision?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One last question: Is there a real big difference between check-fold turn and Bet/Fold Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that with B/F you're taking a stab at winning a pot, when you C/F you already gave up and lost whatever you have put in the pot. Judging by your story about vilain, seems to me you always need to bet this turn because he's going to bet at either the turn or the riv with any hand, and force you to lay down a (winning....) hand.