Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM

Default How do I play this hand?

I don’t usually call raises with A5s, but I decided to switch my play.
Obviously this is the best flop for my hand, since I don’t really want to hit an Ace because I have a weak kicker. How would you play this hand?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t800 with t50 antes (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t23097)
UTG+1 (t57993)
MP1 (t17030)
MP2 (t34827)
CO (t57440)
Button (t67399)
SB (t29950)
Hero (t34218)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t2400</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t1600

Flop: (t5600) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t2400</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to t12000</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t31768 (All-in)</font>, UTG calls t8647 (All-in)
Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Re: How do I play this hand?

Fold preflop.

On that flop, checkraise all in.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 AM

First of all, mixing up your play is no reason to call an UTG raise with A5s out of position in the blind. The only reason why you'd play that hand from that position is because (prior to the cards even being dealt) you've decided to defend your blind with any two cards. And you just so happen get A5s. Could have been 72o. You would have called either way. Under these conditions, I'd be looking to play a ragged flop that most likely didn't hit my opponent. Sometimes I'd just lead the flop. Other times I might check-raise or check-call and lead the turn. Stack sizes certainly come into play in how to proceed.

As you played the hand, you've got a tough decision. That's what you get when you play A5s from the BB. I definitely do not like the line you took but I'm not sure if I'd like any line here. With a K on the flop you know you're going to get played back on. So if you lead out, you're going to get raised and have to commit a bunch of chips (as in about 23k of them). If you check-raise all-in it looks like you're on a draw and will certainly get called by a big pair, top pair, perhaps even QQ or JJ.

So the big question is do you want to put 23k chips in this pot on a flush draw with an overcard that might very well be dominated. I don't think I'd want to and would probably check the flop and call a reasonable bet. But I'm not even hugely thrilled with that line either.

So no real conclusion here other than don't play A5s to mix up your play. Defend your blinds when appropriate. Think about stack sizes before you start betting to make sure you don't overcommit with you're likely a 2 to 1 dog (all-in).
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 AM

Yeah, what lloyd said..........big/little wins small pots and loses big ones (even soooooooted)