Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Default AKs and can\'t find a raise

I'm in the middle of a nice downswing over the past week and wanted to post this hand to make sure i'm still thinking correctly and not on the "How are they going to suck out on me this time kick", although i suspect that is what is going on.

Villain in this hand is 40/10/2 after 50 hands. His bets are generally warranted by his hand once he gets to the turn. He continuation bets the flop anytime he raises and it is checked to him.

I suspect him of having a high pocket pair although another AK is certainly possible.

Comments welcomed on all streets. Thanks

Absolute Poker No Limit Hold'em (BB $0.25) (9 players)

Button - $20.15
SB - $38.25
BB - $10.60
UTG - $40.30
UTG+1 - $56.13
MP3 - $12.40
HERO - $39.95
MP3 - $22.50
CO - $11.40

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls $.25, UTG+1 raises $2.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.75, 6 folds

Flop: ($6.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets $2.5, Hero calls $2.5

Turn: ($11.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets $16.25, Hero ???
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: AKs and can\'t find a raise

Drop a daisy cutter on that flop. All in. Are there much better flops for your hand?

1) There's a good chance you're already ahead.
2) An ugly turn card like the one that came makes your hand less appealing.
3) Sucking out, if you were behind, would feel so good when you're running cold.

Push it!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM

wtf, how can you not find a raise on that flop?

PS: does he always raise that big pf?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Bomb that flop. 3-bet all-in if raised. Only one hand to fear and you have redraws to crush it.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM

If you cant find a raise and reraise on that flop then I just dont know...as epdaws says, that is up there with as good a flop as you want for AK.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 PM

no, there are absolutely no better flops for my hand outside of Q-J-T and i was thrilled when it came down as such.

My reasoning at the time was that i thought his larger than normal pre-flop raise (he doesn't always raise that much) represented a big pocket pair but not necessarily aces. The ace on the flop helped lessen the chances of that.

i flat called on the flop because i was pretty sure i had his hand range in terrible shape and i wanted to use my position to "walk the dog" as our buddy mike sexton might say.

is this a terrible play on my part? I'm not sure that may worse hands are going to call me should I raise the flop and I was trying to realize some of the implied odds here.

if he has TT+ but not AA, i'm not sure he's going to call a flop raise when i would love him to because I most likely have him drawing at one out.

as played, how do you handle the turn?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, there are absolutely no better flops for my hand outside of Q-J-T and i was thrilled when it came down as such.

My reasoning at the time was that i thought his larger than normal pre-flop raise (he doesn't always raise that much) represented a big pocket pair but not necessarily aces. The ace on the flop helped lessen the chances of that.

i flat called on the flop because i was pretty sure i had his hand range in terrible shape and i wanted to use my position to "walk the dog" as our buddy mike sexton might say.

is this a terrible play on my part? I'm not sure that may worse hands are going to call me should I raise the flop and I was trying to realize some of the implied odds here.

if he has TT+ but not AA, i'm not sure he's going to call a flop raise when i would love him to because I most likely have him drawing at one out.

as played, how do you handle the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be too concerned about milking him when he has an underpair because I doubt he's putting any decent money in the pot with those hands.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 PM

If you think villain is dumb enough to hand you his stack when the third spade hits the turn and the fourth one hits on the river then keep 'walking the dog.' Getting money in the pot as an overwhelming favorite is the best way I know to grow my bankroll.

Walking the dog is great when you have a villain that is leading the action so dominated that you are certain any aggression will only cause him to slow way down or fold. Can't see that here with his pre-flop raise. You may be free-rolling against another AK.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting money in the pot as an overwhelming favorite is the best way I know to grow my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but how do we get more money in the pot as an overwhelming favorite?

As the hand was playing out, I was secretly hoping that i would not make my spade draw because I thought i could present a difficult situation for villain on the turn if a blank hits and raise him there.

I still believe that I'm going blow the vast majority of his hand range out of the pot with a raise on the flop, the part of his hand range that i would like to be in there with me.

He is going to absolutely put me on a flush draw on the flop and will have a difficult time with AQ,AJ,AT when i raise the turn.

I don't have pokerstove and their website is down, can someone run the equity against his range of hands TT+, AJ+?

I know this reeks of FPS, and there's a good possibility that it is, but I think there is at least some merit to this play with position.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Raise that flop and be happy to get it all-in. I don't like the ugly turn cards for both you and villain (as others have pointed out).