Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Playing with posters (a pre-flop question)

Another 2+2er and I disagree about something and I am wondering what the consensus is.

You are in early position with one or two posters (or in the most recent iteration of our discussion THREE posters). You have a marginal hand that you would normally muck here, but with all that money in the pot you choose to play. For the sake of immediate discussion, let's say you have QTo.

Are you raising or limping?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Playing with posters (a pre-flop question)

Limping.

Sure, I might want to chase some players out by raising but why risk the extra chips. I can't see raising with a marginal hand in EP.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:06 PM

I would limp. Sure, since their cards are random you probably have a better hand than them, but they'll get nice odds to call, and if all of them call you got a marginal hand out of position.

But I'm certainly not sure; I'd love to hear other opinions on this.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 PM

I would muck QTo without blinking in this situation. I don't want to play QTo in EP, out of position and against multiple opponents.

Now if the QT was suited im raising or put me behind the posters (I am assuming at most two and now I know they have limped) with the QTo and I will raise to isolate and try to take control of the hand.

With three or more posters/limpers if I am in LP maybe I limp to see the flop but if anyone behind me is aggressive I might not.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 PM

if i'm playing i would likely raise. QTo does not play well multiway and i may get a hand like AT or QJ to fold. have the posters already checked or were they Late Position posters? is this a tight table? what about the blinds? that said i would still be wary of playing OOP with such a weak hand unless i have pretty good control over the table.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM

Sure would hate to "price them into the hand" with all that extra money in the pot. If I want to try and see the flop cheaply, I limp/fold preflop and hope for the best. But with your example of Q10o and EP, this is just asking for trouble.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would limp. Sure, since their cards are random you probably have a better hand than them, but they'll get nice odds to call, and if all of them call you got a marginal hand out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, so folding was an option [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd fold this too if I didn't have to choose between limping and raising as I first thought.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, so folding was an option [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd fold this too if I didn't have to choose between limping and raising as I first thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding wasn't an option, but oh well. I'm with you, I would definitely dump the hand.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:07 PM

i don't want to play this hand from ep... let alone raise with it...

If i did play it i'd raise... but am i missing something here? sure the two posters are dumping money in to the pot blind... but why expose yourself to the rest of the field behind you with such a marginal hand?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 PM

To me it depends most on the rest of the table. Sometimes 2/4 days are so tight that the EP raise has a decent shot at getting the blinds. I don't mind putting in 2 bets in that scenario. Otherwise muck it...