Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM

Default In need OOT\'s help in forming an opinion for my business

OOT:

For those of you who don't already know I am a publisher of a luxury lifestyle consumer magazine that is sold at newsstands and also to subscribers. There are a lot of changes going on in my industry right now, one of which is the recent adoption of a technology called NextGen. Essentially NextGen allows the printed magazine to be viewed online, the publishing company can then sell subscriptions like a normal magazine. My company is dipping it's toes into this technology right now, but I'm still a bit of a skeptic so I'm turning to OOT for market research.

Please visit and download the free online magazine edition from my friends at at http://www.nylonmag.com (its 20 something girls magazine, but they are the first company to launch with the technology so they make a perfect example). What I am interested in is the reading experience, the editorial content of the magazine really doesn't matter.

1) Do you find the interface easy to use?
2) Would you read a 140 page magazine in this format?
3) Do you like the fact that you can now click on links to jump to a page (ala a PDF)
4) If you were to subscribe to an online magazine like this, would you expect a discount off the normally priced subscription that is sent in the mail? If a normal subscription was $20, how much would you pay to receive the magazine online?
5) Would you prefer a hard copy only, online copy only, or do you think subscribers should get the online copy as an added bonus when they subscribe for the print edition?
6) What don't you like about this format?

I'm really interested to hear your opinions, especially from the techies... you are going to be helping me out a lot.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: In need OOT\'s help in forming an opinion for my business

1) the interface is easy to use.
2) hell no
3) this has been around for years dude.
4) If I were to subscribe to this, I'd expect 50% off.
5) I prefer magazines to be made of paper.
6) It's too busy. Reading lots of text on a computer screen is tedious, even more so when you've got flashing ads all over the goddamned place.

Overall: the magazine industry missed the boat on this tech. This was hot like 5 years ago.

There have been webzines out there for a long long time. Now you finally get into it? Meh.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM

1- The interface is pretty nice. In general I like the way it's presented a lot. It does a good job of capturing the feel of a magazine online.

2- The thing with this is that it would allow me even more than I already do to NOT read 140 pages and only find what I like. That's great for me, not so great for the people selling adds. The magazine itself looks pretty add free save for one sidebar, and that's nice, but can you make money like that?

3- yes, see 1.

4- I would expect a discount. My top of the head guess is 50%. Honestly I'm not the best person to ask since I don't do magazines, it's simply too easy to find stuff for free online.

5- If I bought the printed copy- I would assume I should get online access for free.

6- No specific beefs, I like it a lot. I just wonder how different from this your product will look. The invidual layout will be key, as will not being too cookie cutter and having it look exactly like this if it becomes popular.

General suggestions: easy on the flasy, no [censored] noise/video that plays without me asking for it. Don't clutter stuff up (basically do everything to avoid being espn.com).
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM

I am pretty interested in the changes coming to print media due to the internet. I personally think that online media will not be able to replace print magazines. People want to be able to read the hard copy. I imagine that most of your readers come from a background that means they are spending a lot of time at work in front of the computer. It's not very attractive to come home from work and settle in to read 140 pages.

To answer the questions:
1) As online magazines go, I think this interface is pretty good.
2) No.
3) Sure, but this isn't that big a deal.
4) I would absolutely expect a discount. If the print version was $20, I wouldn't want to pay more than $5-$10.
5) I think giving hard copy subscribers the online copy is the way to go.
6) See above.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 AM

I don't like to read online and printing articles to take to the john is a pain in he ass. Online is a nice freebie addition for paper subscribers though.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 AM

TT,

My initial thought is that I would not want to view your magazine online. When I read a “luxury lifestyle consumer magazine” I want it in my hands and when I am relaxing in a comfortable chair (or even while I snack at the kitchen table). I don’t want to read it at my desk. I would read the Wall St. Journal or the New Yorker online, perhaps. That is to say when content is mostly the written word.

I want glossy pics and to turn pages when I fantasize (I guess I wouldn’t view Playboy online either).

Also, for the record – I still prefer hardcopy over the computer in general.

Right, the only thing that might entice me to purchase an online subscription to any magazine is a discount from the print subscription.

RJT
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Excellent opinions so far guys, OOT is really stepping up to the plate. Essentially I am a skeptic, but I'm also embracing new ideas with the knowledge that I could be wrong. More more more... let me have it. And after this is all done I'll share my opinions.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

My initial thought is that I would not want to view your magazine online. When I read a “luxury lifestyle consumer magazine” I want it in my hands and when I am relaxing in a comfortable chair (or even while I snack at the kitchen table). I don’t want to read it at my desk. I would read the Wall St. Journal or the New Yorker online, perhaps. That is to say when content is mostly the written word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Would you read an article or two or the whole newspaper/magazine for Wallstreet Journal and the New Yorker?

Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM

I'm sure you know this, but I'm disturbed that no one has asked about the cost yet. Your questions touch on the revenue possibilities, though there are still some unknowns for a magazine novice like me. That is, do advertisers count an online subscription as a normal subscription and do you pick up secondary revenue streams realted to hits on the website to name a couple. It all boils down to ROI.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? Would you read an article or two or the whole newspaper/magazine for Wallstreet Journal and the New Yorker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a key issue, TT. I don't read most things cover to cover. For those I don't, I don't mind printing out a 2-page article to read or even reading it online. But for magazines I read for pleasure, I want to take the time to peruse the whole thing at my leisure and would want the whole thing in paper.