Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 04:04 AM

Default When sb completes, min-bets vs. potbets postflop

I was wondering, is there a generally accepted optimal postflop betsize for early-middle rounds low-level sng's, when folded to sb who completes and bb checks ?

I usually bet 1xbb from either sb or bb when the flop hits me in any way, and about 40% of the times from sb when it doesn't and 60% from bb when sb checks.
I do this, since it seems to buy me a lot of blinds, and at the same time conceal monsters.
I almost never bet the pot. Is this a leak ?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: When sb completes, min-bets vs. potbets postflop

Half pot is fine. So is never betting when you have nothing. Im assuming you are playing the lower levels, just play ABC, no need to get fancy. The situation you discribe is of very little importance, i.e. there are much more important things to focus on, and small little blind battles aren't going to mean much. BUT, blind battles are in general going to cost you more IMO in the long run, so with that being said, i think for now you should just fold your SB in the early levels, unless you have a hand. No need to fight over the t40 or t60 BB.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: When sb completes, min-bets vs. potbets postflop

[ QUOTE ]
Half pot is fine. So is never betting when you have nothing. Im assuming you are playing the lower levels, just play ABC, no need to get fancy. The situation you discribe is of very little importance, i.e. there are much more important things to focus on, and small little blind battles aren't going to mean much. BUT, blind battles are in general going to cost you more IMO in the long run, so with that being said, i think for now you should just fold your SB in the early levels, unless you have a hand. No need to fight over the t40 or t60 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, but in response to the OP, I usually still try to bet 2/3 or 3/4 the pot just because minbets seem lazy and some opponents will try to pick them off, or call with absolute garbage b/c it is so cheap.

I usually just fold my sb until the bb is about 1/10 the starting stack size (aka 75/150 on Stars and 100/200 on Party) before I start making moves as the SB.