Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Default This is a serious question for the liberals out there

How much do you think WE paid? I'm sorry, I wish nothing but the best for those 2 babies, but come on. To stay just for the free medical treatment? Something is just NOT right with this picture. I went to the bank today, and my favorite teller is in need of a kidney transplant. They have a "donation" jar out for her because she can't afford the treatments, let along the transplant itself. And she works, pays taxes, has health insurance and is a citizen of the USA.

I know from previous dem v rep. posts that most of you are liberals and disagree with what I have written, and I would really like you to explain to me where my thinking is flawed.

Conjoined Twins Successfully Separated

By ALICIA CHANG
The Associated Press
Thursday, June 15, 2006; 1:16 PM

LOS ANGELES -- Regina and Renata Salinas Fierros were "doing great" after doctors separated the 10-month-old conjoined twins and rebuilt their bodies during a daylong operation, a hospital spokeswoman said Thursday.

The twins were transferred early Thursday to side-by-side beds in an intensive care unit after their surgeries were complete, said Childrens Hospital Los Angeles spokeswoman Janet Dotson.

"The girls are doing great," she said.

Ten-month-old Regina and Renata Salinas Fierros were born facing each other, joined from the lower chest to the pelvis. They were fused in several places, including the liver and genitals, they shared a large intestine, and Regina was born with one kidney.

During the operation, doctors made an incision at the breastbone and then divided the internal organs.

Late Wednesday, the young twins spent their first moments apart, when one was wheeled to another room so plastic surgeons could begin the reconstruction work.

Several doctors on the 80-person medical team also took part in the 2003 separation of conjoined twins from a set of triplets at the hospital. Wednesday's surgery was considered more complex because it involved more organs.

Despite the risks, doctors said they expected a successful operation.

"Everything has been going impeccably, as one could possibly imagine," surgical director Dr. Henri Ford said several hours into the surgery.

Conjoined twins occur when a single fertilized egg fails to divide completely. It's estimated that a few hundred pairs of conjoined twins are born globally each year. In the U.S., they occur 1 in every 200,000 live births.

The way that Regina and Renata were fused makes them a rare type of conjoined twins, occurring in about 10 percent of cases.

The twins were born in Los Angeles on Aug. 2, 2005, to Mexican parents who were visiting relatives in the United States. The girls' mother, 23-year-old Sonia, said she didn't realize she was carrying conjoined twins until she was hospitalized with an infection.

The couple extended their tourist visa so that the twins could receive medical care.

The girls were transferred to Childrens Hospital a day after their birth where they underwent tests in preparation for the separation surgery. Doctors implanted inflatable balloons under their skin so that it could expand to cover the surgical wounds after the operation.

Childrens Hospital declined to reveal the operation's cost, which will be covered by a state health program. The hospital previously performed five conjoined twin operations since 1966 including three cases in which both twins survived.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: This is a serious question for the liberals out there

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you think WE paid? I'm sorry, I wish nothing but the best for those 2 babies, but come on. To stay just for the free medical treatment? Something is just NOT right with this picture. I went to the bank today, and my favorite teller is in need of a kidney transplant. They have a "donation" jar out for her because she can't afford the treatments, let along the transplant itself. And she works, pays taxes, has health insurance and is a citizen of the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, what? And "favorite teller"?? WTF? Who the heck goes to a bank and deals with individual staff often enough to have a "favorite teller"?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, what? And "favorite teller"?? WTF? Who the heck goes to a bank and deals with individual staff often enough to have a "favorite teller"?

[/ QUOTE ]
My teller today was fan-frickin'-tastic looking. She's definitely my favorite now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 PM

What part are you disagreeing with - the WE paid? I am an American taxpayer, so yes I paid.

I own a small business and go to the bank twice a day, so yes I have favorite teller.

Thanks for the well thought out reply though.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us who still have a few dollars left after taxes. Im in the bank at least once a week on personal business and have favorites and non-favorites. What is so surprising about that?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know from previous dem v rep. posts that most of you are liberals and disagree with what I have written, and I would really like you to explain to me where my thinking is flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you haven't really said anything that can be refuted. Imagine I said the following:

"How much do you think my friend's car costs? I really like my friend's car. However, perhaps he shouldn't have bought it. I have another friend who really needs a car. My friend who needs a car is very nice. I have read this forum before. Some of you will disagree with me. Tell me where I'm flawed".
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What part are you disagreeing with - the WE paid? I am an American taxpayer, so yes I paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who disagreed? Read Dvaut's post, he is pointing out the issue.

[ QUOTE ]
I own a small business and go to the bank twice a day, so yes I have favorite teller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...ok. I hope you donated.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the well thought out reply though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those of us who still have a few dollars left after taxes. Im in the bank at least once a week on personal business and have favorites and non-favorites. What is so surprising about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be some right-wing fetish with banks. Everyone I know banks electronically and at ATMs.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be some right-wing fetish with banks. Everyone I know banks electronically and at ATMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once an ATM or website can notarize something, move important papers to my safe deposit box, never make a mistake with substantial cash deposits, authorize donations for social causes in the name of the bank and smile and say thank you, I may never set foot inside one again.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 PM

How do you deposit bags of coin and numerous small bills?