Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Wireless Connection Issues

Hey all,
I'm having muchos problems currently with my wireless set up. I can't connect (Waiting for IP assignment), and when i do, (1 in 10) its a limited/no connection. This hasn't been happening and only started last night/today. My roomates lap top is connecting to our wireless just fine.
As an aside, windows automatically updated itself last night, but didn't seem to tamper with the internet settings at all- what effect do you think this had on my problems?

Also, i've tried connecting with the standard microsoft firewall on/off and ditto for virus protection.

I've also restarted the router (just pull the power plug) a couple times.

If my questions too vague let me know and i'll try and nail down some specifics.

Thanks,
crosse
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Wireless Connection Issues

Can you ping the router itself?

Does the router have a connection to the Internet?

Do you use a WPA or WEP key? If so, check the profile for this wireless network and make sure it is still there correctly.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 PM

I just know wireless networks are [censored]. They are all luck.

I've been trying for hours to set up an ad-hoc wireless network. I followed instructions step-by-step... nothing works. I do random crap, I'm able to share files, but not the internet. I do more random crap, the network is "not connected" and I get internet!?!?! The internet is also at the speed of like dial-up and I have a cable modem, 802.11g 54mbs card. Nothing makes sense. Die wireless, die.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you ping the router itself?

Does the router have a connection to the Internet?

Do you use a WPA or WEP key? If so, check the profile for this wireless network and make sure it is still there correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about the ping, but i'm typing from my roommates computer on the same network.

The router is connected to the internet, i am positive.

WPA key is correct.

I'm freeing disk space will this help at all in some random way?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 AM

What kind of router is it? I always tell people the best performance wireless routers are Linksys models.

I would certainly attempt to turn encryption off for a temp basis to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 AM

Try accessing the router. Try it on both computers. If you get prompted with a logon box, you are communicating with the router. I'm guessing that your computer won't connect since it is not being assigned an IP.

Also try THIS if the first link doesn't work. These are common router addresses.

If it is a Linksys router, the default logon is "linksys" and the default password is also "linksys". You can also get a list of default router passwords . You can also find out your router's IP address by (on the computer that is connecting) clicking on the "Start" button, then "All Programs", "Accessories", and "Command Prompt". Then type "ipconfig/all" and take note of the "Default Gateway" and "DHCP Server" address (should be the same) under the wireless adapter section. Then type that into the browser address bar, and you should get the logon prompt.

Deleting things off the hard drive won't make a difference.

I'd also try turning off the wireless security, and turn on the SSID broadcast in the router configuration menu. See if that helps things, and once you connect, try turning the security back on. You can leave the SSID broadcast on as long as you have WPA security.