Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Losing 20lbs in 90 days the healthy way. Is it Possible?

OK last two years playing poker have padded on the poundage. Went from 230 to 250. I am 6'2.5 and have a 40" waist and I am 40 years old. Also I had a physical and my doc told me if I do not loweer my cholesterol I will have to go on medication to do it. I do have heart disease in the family.
I have a bet with my non poker playing soccer buddies that I will be down to 230 by our trip to Vegas Sept 10th through 17th. I have been lazy but plan on giving it a serious go.

My plans include Weights, Cardio mainly Mountain Biking, and adjusting diet to 5 meals a day and some of these may consist of a meal replacement shakes. Also the guy at the supplement store sold me Edo's oil to assist in fat burning.

Looking for suggestions and am I being realistic in my goal.

I know e have some oot folks that know there stuff and any help or links to sites that may help would be great
Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Losing 20lbs in 90 days the healthy way. Is it Possible?

20 pounds in 90 days is very very doable. Losing 2 pounds a week is certainly achievable for a man your size. You've got 12 weeks.

No soda. No ice cream. No chocolate. No potato chips. If you've got the munchies, try something healthy like pita bread and hummus. I actually used to hate hummus, but I found Trader Joes makes some that's pretty good. When cooking, double your (non-potato) veggies and 1/2 your meat.

Basically, more fibre, more exercise, less fat.

Eating the right food is easy. Not also then eating the wrong foods is hard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-14-2006, 12:45 PM

Lozen,

Dropping 20 in this relatively short time frame is gonna be tough. You're gonna need to break out the big guns.

Have you heard of Jimmy Tango's Fat Busters?

Might want to check it out.

Good luck dude!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Losing 20lbs in 90 days for someone of your stature should not be that hard. It will take discipline, but i'm sure you knew that. Personally, I went from 140 -> 130 in 1 week ... of course I did a special "soup" diet for overweight people who needed to lose weight for heart surgery (this was when I wrestled), so its definitely POSSIBLE, although dangerous, to lose weight that fast. As other posters have mentioned, it is better to lose weight gradually. My personally opinion on this matter is to cut out as many "grainy" carbs as possible: bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, anything made with flour, chips, etc, etc, as well as anything with a lot of suger content (but i'm sure you knew that already). And instead get your carbs from fruits and vegetables. Eat lean meat and ONLY drink water. For snacks, try some nuts or beef jerky ... just not too much.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:09 PM

My trainer has suggested rice with tuna one meal and whole wheat pasta in moderation. Also ton of water to boot and lean meats. I plan on updating my challenge. Lost $500 last year on this bet and have no intentions on loosing again and being called Lumpy on the course all trip.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM

no alcohol, for people who drink regularly, this is perhaps the easiest way to lose some weight (coupled with a sensible diet). beer and hard liquor will make you fat quicker than a lot of junk food
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My trainer has suggested rice with tuna one meal and whole wheat pasta in moderation. Also ton of water to boot and lean meats. I plan on updating my challenge. Lost $500 last year on this bet and have no intentions on loosing again and being called Lumpy on the course all trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could lose 10-15lbs the first week if you go no carb, it will be mostly water and glycogen, but along with the subsequent 2lbs of fat per week, it should be a very attainable goal.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 PM

A few years ago, I was tipping the scales at about 247lbs (I am 6'3").
I was training for a Jujitsu test, and had just started a new job at a place that had a gym. I cut out as much saturated fat as I could, and did cardio just about every day on my lunch break. In a month, I think I was down to 230lbs. In another month, I was at 220lbs. By month three, I was at 210lbs.

So yes, your goal is VERY attainable. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lozen,

Dropping 20 in this relatively short time frame is gonna be tough. You're gonna need to break out the big guns.

Have you heard of Jimmy Tango's Fat Busters?

Might want to check it out.

Good luck dude!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ride the snake............"
Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 PM

The goal in and of itself is realistic and achievable. I think the real question you need to ask is whether or not your program is realistically going to be an effective launch pad for long term improvements in your health.

It seems to me that these type of gung ho punish yourself into shape quickly type programs are too often unsustainable and in 2 years you'll be back at the same weight having the same conversation with your doctor.

Why not just make a commitment to eating a little less and a little more healthy, and adding regular exercise into your routine. Set fitness goals, perhaps on the length or difficulty of the mountain bike rides you attempt, rather than obsessing over body fat or weight. I'm pretty sure studies have shown that improving fitness levels can have a very positive effect on your health even if you don't drop a ton of fat. Of course, if you stick with a reasonable, sustainable and enjoyable plan for the long term, over the next few years you'll probably drop far more weight than you currently imagine possible.