Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Poll: Have you joined the Poker Players Alliance?

I'm debating whether I should cough up the $20 to join this. Just trying to get a feel if others are doing the same.

Please explain your reasons for joining and not joining.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Poll: Have you joined the Poker Players Alliance?

I have joined but after seeing the PPA spokesperson in action I'm wishing I wouldn't have. I know Mason doesn't think they amount to much and I'm starting to agree with him.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM

I joined only cuz' I got $5 out of it and in theory the cause is good.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 PM

I joined because we desperately need an organization to fill this niche, and they're the only candidate as far as I know.

I'm not terribly impressed so far, but their voice has been heard a bit through the lobbying day w/ Jesus and Howard on Capital Hill.

Besides, if you play Party, then they will subsidize your membership. So why not try to help build a national voice for free?

I like the "American Tradition" theme of their PR, too.

Ben
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 PM

I voted no.

The PPA seems to be poorly organized and poorly run. Their lawyer flat out suck. I watched that news debate someone posted about a month ago with a PPA lawyer and an anti-gambling advocate - the PPA lawyer was about the worst debater ever.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM

They won't get better without members. It's $20 and Party gives you a $25 bonus, what's the dilemma?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM

The t-shirt they send you is crap (probably made by child slaves in China).
Old 06-14-2006, 03:57 PM

I haven't joined and don't plan too. I have written my congressmen though.

I don't understand why they need the money. Poker sites should be funding them way more than players joining. How much money could this organization need, and what are they doing with the money? A few million dollars should be plenty. Online poker being a $11B/yr business should cough that up no problem if they believed the PPA could make a difference.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:17 PM

I commend Party for its support of the PPA. They are obviously trying to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, the PPA is not doing its job well. Witness what happened in Washington. They should at least have put out some PR that the bill was in the works -- then we might have had a chance to organize to stop it.

I definitely agree with Machinehead. It is in the poker sites' interest to stop this bill. Unfortunately they probably need to be a little sneaky in terms of how they do it. It wouldn't look too great to have our lobbyists directly funded by these sites. I think that is part of our problem.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why they need the money. Poker sites should be funding them way more than players joining. How much money could this organization need, and what are they doing with the money? A few million dollars should be plenty. Online poker being a $11B/yr business should cough that up no problem if they believed the PPA could make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are supposed to be a grassroots alliance of American poker players. If they were a lobbying arm of offshore gambling interests then they wouldn't have the same standing with our politicians.

Party's underwriting of individual memberships already muddies the water, but at least there is a living breathing poker player behind that membership.

I would hope that Party, Stars, etc ... are funding lobbying efforts here more directly as well as encouraging PPA membership.

B.

Like I said, I haven't been impressed with them so far, but I don't see any other organization trying to do anything, so they get my membership by default.