Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 01:41 AM

Default Deep Stack AA Line

This guy has been aggressive pre and post flop. I felt like he had QQ once the turn came down and checked behind. The river bet was a mix of a blocking/value bet and I figure I have to be behind if he reraises me on the river. How do you guys think I played the hand? I have 1700 and he has me covered.

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.
Villian makes it 40 on button. Hero in big blind makes it 120.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets 200. Villian calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets 350. Villian reraises to 900. Hero folds.

Final Pot:
Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Deep Stack AA Line

[ QUOTE ]
This guy has been aggressive pre and post flop. I felt like he had QQ once the turn came down and checked behind. The river bet was a mix of a blocking/value bet and I figure I have to be behind if he reraises me on the river. How do you guys think I played the hand? I have 1700 and he has me covered.

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.
Villian makes it 40 on button. Hero in big blind makes it 120.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets 200. Villian calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets 350. Villian reraises to 900. Hero folds.

Final Pot:

[/ QUOTE ]

THe problem with this hand is that your deceptive line suggests that you maybe have hands like a weak jack, a flush draw, or straight draw. only 89 got there and it seems like you don't really like your hand much (given your turn check and relatively weak river bet). So, your line is giving reason for your oppenant to raise the river with many weak hands (busted draws, low pocket pairs, etc.) If you were going to fold to a raise after your action with an overpair, you should have bet the turn where at least you price out a draw.

YOu checked the turn and then bet the river. On board developments like this, your oppenant will have trouble putting you on either a ten or jack, and may raise out of confusion. Be wary of that.

Bet 400 on the turn, play poker on the river (bet half the pot first)
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 AM

After re-raising preflop, you bet 200 into a 240 pot on flop and then checked the turn. And you think an aggro guy needs better than AA to raise a 350 bet into a 640 pot on the river?

Edit: After your preflop, flop, and turn lines, I think check/call is far superior on the river. Don't let an aggro guy move you off your hand and you have shown so much weakness that you will often induce a bluff or even a value bet from a worse hand.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:35 AM

As you played it, bet 3/4 pot on flop, 2/3 on turn, then most likely c/c river. A blocking bet is also an option if you think he'll bomb river.

With your image and description of him, i.e. he might think you're getting tired of his "shennanigans," this isnt a bad spot to bump it to 200 PF, then c/r all in on flop. This is an excellent plan if you think he'll think you got frustrated and jammed slick PF, then missed flop and went into weak/tight panic. For effective stack sizes of 1700, the 200 (even 180) re-raise PF should make it work about right.