Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Default The \"Donkey\" Concept

1. A .220 hitter swings at a pitch outside of the strikezone and bloops one into rightfield for the game-winner.
2. A QB's pass goes thru a WR's hands to a DB who has an easy return for the difference-making score.

In these examples, do you ever hear the losing team say: "Those guys had no business winning. They don't know what the hell they're doing."

Of course not. Why, then, do so many poker players complain when an improbable play succeeds? Granted, the majority of players aren't crybabies or jerks, but there's enough of them out there.

Moreover, I hear/read these people defend their actions, saying things like: "Hey I realize that's part of the game, but if someone's a donkey I call him a donkey."

I guess my question for these people is: Do you not think that basic sportsmanship has any place in poker? Or do you think it does, but you just don't care?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Re: The \"Donkey\" Concept

Because this improbable play happens only a few times every season, not many times every day.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 AM

Your analogies are not even remotely relevant.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your analogies are not even remotely relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I disagree. The analogies are very close to what happens in a poker game where Joe2+2 gets snapped off by Mr. PlayonSundaysbetweenbeers who is a longtime loser at poker but just wants to blow off some steam. IMHO, many poker players are frustrated athletes/life losers anyway and when they can't win they whine like little girls.

Most people have a very difficult time dealing with losing money, whether they are winners or losers at poker over their lifetime.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. A .220 hitter swings at a pitch outside of the strikezone and bloops one into rightfield for the game-winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because the .220 hitter gets released at the end of the season.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:39 PM

this post sucks
Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 PM

The difference is that poker can be very frustrating at times and people get to hide behind their monitor. Its the same reason that people are [censored] in their cars...what are you gonna do, right?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Because in the sports world, the following doesn't occur:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right before going into the batting box, the batting coach advises the hitter, ignore any pitches right down the middle, wait until there is one on the outside, and try to bloop it into right field.

[ QUOTE ]
2. A QB's pass goes thru a WR's hands to a DB who has an easy return for the difference-making score.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, game is on the line. Defensive coach calls time out. Tells the line not to rush the quarterback. In fact, no body do anything. We are going to wait for the quarterback to pass to the WR, and hopefully it will slip thru his hands, and the DB can return it for the game winner. It is the old pray for a miracle play!

No, those plays you mention aren't planned. And yet, many times the fish is calling 3 cold, then check raising the flop, praying that the lone miracle game winning card shows up on the river.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:11 PM

I'm not a fan of sports, so I'm not exactly sure what your analogies mean, but I have a guess. You're wondering why we (as poker players) bitch about poor plays, but people don't do the same with regard to sports. Well, first of all, I do hear people occasionally say similar stuff about crappy teams winning.

But I think hitMySet has got it down. It's because it's a lot more frustrating in poker. I feel like I'm usually sportsman-like when competing. I don't act like a jackass when I beat my friend in a videogame, and I don't cry when I lose playing some sport or something. It's a completely different feeling when I lose a $2000 pot to a 2-outer calling 2-3 bets on every street. It's not just a "win" or a "loss" anymore; it's a potential laptop I could've had.