Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 PM

Default 109s: Battle of the blinds w/ 44

PartyPoker $109 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1533)
UTG+1 (t3305)
MP1 (t5377)
CO (t1058)
Button (t1810)
Hero (t1780)
BB (t5137)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t275</font>, BB calls t225

Flop: (t650) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t375</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t4812 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1080 (All-in)

Turn: (t6917) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t6917) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Villian is Multi-tabler who I play with all the time.

A couple of small stakes players I taught say limp PF and fold to flop raise.

I think my line is superstandard vs. multi-tablers usually.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: 109s: Battle of the blinds w/ 44

Listen to the small stakers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The risk/expense of playing this post flop far outweighs the gain of the blinds IMO.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Ps. I get the 'vs. regular' bit...but w/his stack, I wouldn't be in to much of an exploitive (maybe not a word) mood. Not only does he call, but he really puts you to the test PF a fair amount.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 PM

If you aren't raising here I feel like we're basically giving away the blinds to him, because he can just start raising any 2 from the BB.

When you play all the time against the same people, you can't give away blinds like that IMO
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't raising here I feel like we're basically giving away the blinds to him, because he can just start raising any 2 from the BB.

When you play all the time against the same people, you can't give away blinds like that IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how regular is regular and how good is good...typically i take the limp and play accordingly on flop trying not to spew chips, but if i bet flop and he comes over the top im not in bad enough shape that im clearly calling his shove
Old 06-13-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hearya. 44 just isn't the hand. And while asserting yourself against the known has its advantages, I just don't think we have that luxury given the chip disparity here. This was really the worst case scenario for you. You got a favorable flop...bloated by the PF raise, feeling overly committed to the push. Going broke in THIS specific SB vs. BB scenario w/17bb's is a shame really. An important battle, but not a place to commence the war.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Check/ push flop. If you are going to play it against the reg, play it strong.
Big stack is going to push you around more than 50% of the time, pf or on the flop, so know it is coming and play accordingly.

However, I wouldn't look down at 44 and play it like this with these blinds everytime or most of the time.

Stand is limp, try to hit set and double up, right?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 AM

reads? anyway clear raise pf but flop if you 1/2 pot fold to the push otherwise just push
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 AM

You get in trouble here for two reasons. One, your preflop raise is too large. Two, you can't let him decide whether you should put your money in on the flop.

Raise to only 250 preflop. This will allow you to make a continuation bet without committing yourself, if that is the line you prefer (or at least make the potential mistake of continue betting small).

With the pot unnecessarily bloated like it is here, your best options on the flop are check/fold, check/raise all-in or open push. All are fine with me, but I am probably leaning towards open pushing.

FWIW, unless the rest of the table is very weak and villain very strong, I hate not raising this hand preflop.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM

i think calling preflop is easily the best option. on that flop i'd probably fire out a 2/3 pot bet and fold to his raise.