Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Default My summer SSNL bankroll grind plan from NL$2 to NL$25 (kinda long)

well, i'm tired of playing with a ridiculously thin bankroll so i figured i would do a little research and try to come up with a better bankroll management plan. after reading a little on here and a few articles on pocketfives.com, i've come up with a plan that will hopefully allow me to grind my way up the limits with minimal risk. also hopefully this will be a good way to test my poker skills and see whether or not i'm good enough to be able to use poker as a steady source of income (not that i'll be supporting myself with my poker winnings yet, if ever, but since i'm still in HS i figure i could probably make close to as much as a min-wage job pays while doing something i enjoy). anyway, without further delay i present my plan (please note that the floor and ceiling concepts are from Fox's excellent article about BR management on pocketfives.com):

1. i will start by depositing $50 on pokerstars to play at NL$2. this is 25 buyins for this level, so i figure there is almost zero chance of me busting out with such a deep roll.

2. my ceiling for this level will be $75. once i reach that number i will take a shot at NL$5. my floor for NL$5 will be back at $50, meaning once i get $75 and start playing NL$5, if i drop down to $50 i will go back down to NL$2. in order for this to happen i would need to drop 5 buyins at NL$5 (70-50=25/5=5).

3. once i reach NL$5, assuming my bankroll is now at least $75, my ceiling for this level up to NL$10 will be $120. my floor will stay at $75; so once i reach NL$10 with $120 i'll have to drop 4.5 buyins to be forced down a level.

4. once i can play at NL$10 with at least $120, my ceiling to NL$25 will be $225. again, if i hit NL$25 at $225 and drop back down to $120 (4.2 buyins) i will go back to NL$10 and grind it out to try to take another shot.

5. if i can reach NL$25 i will try to grind up to a comfortable bankroll, say around $500, and then i'll start playing primarily at that level and start taking out my profits (possibly with a switch from stars to party here, as i enjoy the party site format more but we'll see what happens when i get there). if and when i start being able to beat NL$25, i will evaluate my game and maybe work on a similar stepping stone plan up to NL$200 or maybe even NL$400.

so basically my questions for you guys are, is this plan at all realistic? if not, why? are my ceiling/floor figures reasonable?

i feel like obviously its very very idealistic and won't be easy at all, but i definitley think with some work/time put in by me on improving my game i can do it. i consider myself a pretty decent TAG-type player right now (i would rate myself below the average 2p2er, but probably above the average partypoker NL$25er, though i don't think that's saying much.)

and if you do think this is reasonable, just for fun (i can hear people already saying how much it depends on the person, but do it anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), take a guess as to how long something like this might take a person. if you really have no idea, then just think about how long it might take you specifically.

any advice is appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].if you've read this whole post, i truly thank you and commend you for getting through it all.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: My summer SSNL bankroll grind plan from NL$2 to NL$25 (kinda long)

You should also consider bonus whoring. Check out the bonus forum here at two plus two.
Additionally, ultimatepokerbankroll.com has some good bonus tips.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should also consider bonus whoring. Check out the bonus forum here at two plus two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its difficult to bonuswhore at 25nl let alone 2 or 5nl.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its difficult to bonuswhore at 25nl let alone 2 or 5nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya no kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Good plan. Only tickler is to tell yourself whether you apply your floors intra-session -- that is, if you're having a bad session should you drop back or close tables in the middle of your play -- and you should, or you can blow up in one long tilt-a-thon.

Estimating time to goal is just a matter of estimating your win rate, planning for a number of hands per day/week/month and doing the math. At +5PTBB/100 and 20k hands per month, for example, you should be basically doubling your roll and moving up a level monthly. Never seems to work out that way, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 PM

A better plan might be to work at McDonalds for 2 days and get $100. Take that $100 to a site like Bodog where the first level is NL$10. You'll have 10 buyins. Play a tight conservative game. When you have $200, take a shot at NL$25. Move down when you lose 4 buyins, or take another shot when you have 10 for the next level. You probably don't want to waste time at the lowest levels NL$2, and NL$5, when its so easy (McDonalds) to get a roll for NL$10.
A key part of this plan is starting on a site whose first level is NL$10. The biggest idiots/drunks play at the lowest level on a site. Since Stars's lowest is so low there is some advantage to playing on another site.
Max
Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM

agreed

the lowest limit on a site being 10max would make you a bigger winner because the biggest donks generally flow to the lowest buyins.

your plan seems feasible... i wouldnt go into a new level without 15 buyins because when you jump up, you generally lose a few at the beginning adjusting to the play because at each level it differs greatly. how u played to beat 5NL may not be as effective in 10NL for whatever reason.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM

One you get $120 12 table 10NL playing TAG. Holla.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Bonuswhoring at those levels? ugh! You only have to play like 2349997888333556677 hands to clear the bonus. In any case, this seems like a pretty decent play although you are only giving yourself 15 buyins at NL 5 which if you go on a 3-5 buy in downswing may crush your hopes. Still I think you have a good chance at succeeding. Dont forget to post a couple hands a day on here. Make sure to save some bankroll for pokertracker. GL!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM

better off starting at NL25 where the pots mean something, and you can enjoy a meaningful deposit bonus. Try 100 or 150 with a 50-100% deposit bonus that gets cleared in a month or so.

it is a little more dangerous so you'll have to limit yourself to 1 table very carefully selected to be passive, seated w position on table captain.

Your plan is less risky, except that it doesn't get you the free bonus money, and that makes a huge difference.