Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Drawing to straight-flushes in 5CD

I was wondering what your feelings are about drawing to straight flushes. On the occasion that I get a 1 card striaghtflush draw I usually raise predraw, hoping to get anyone who beats my hand out and betting for value if I make it. In the blinds if I do not have a pair I'll draw 2 to a straight flush or 3 to a royal flush in the big blind.

What do you think about this strategy? Let's say also that I get dealt something like

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ..

or

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

In what situations would make any sense to hold on to the pair, or always go for the straight flush? And what if it is an inside straight flush, would that change the situation?

Just curious on opinions, thanks.

Also, I've been getting a lot of "it depends" replies recently. I don't want to knock that because I know that it is true. I do take fairly careful notes about how people play, so the more detailed situation answers I get, the better. I don't know if this applies to this question, I'm not an advanced player so I'm trying to learn some intermediate thoughts. Treat me like your son who's coming home with 5 dollars from kindergarten from playing draw... teach him slowly, gently and carefully. By 1st grade I wanna be makin 10 big bets/hr.

Always thanks for your help.

PS - How many bets should you call with a Straightflush draw?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Drawing to straight-flushes in 5CD

Straight-flush draws have 3 additional 'good' cards when compared to flush draws, the ones that will give you the straight, which could always be the best hand, and a foreseeable 'nuts' card. Even though I seldom draw to flushes [or open straights BTW] unless I am the SB or BB, I will usually raise with a straight-flush draw. I play PL so I raise the pot - in Limit I would cap if someone re-raises, I guess. The after draw +EV if you fill your hand is so big in PL I think it is always well spent money. Even though I never made something better than a straight or a flush, I must add, I just think the odds you gain deserve the raise. I would never draw to the small pair in that case - even if I am up against a single opponent drawing 4 or 5 cards. But I am not that good, I could be just overplaying this kind of hands.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:21 AM

I once drew to a 12-card straight flush in a limit game. I made a flush and beat a guy that started out with a straight in the BB. He thought it was a donk-play from me, and perhaps he's right. I think I limped in from the cut-off, hoping to get a lot of callers.

I suppose that it would be ok to limp with a straight-flush draw in a loose/passive game where the other players come in with substandard hands anyway, but I suppose that I have to raise or fold if my opponents are tight/solid players (unless someone has already entered the pot). What do you think?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 AM

An open straight draw has 8 outs, A flush draw has 9 out. A open ended straight flush draw has 14 outs.
I will play open ended or flush draws if I'm getting 5-1 odds. Usually this only happens in the blinds but i will limp it if I have 2 limpers in front of me from the button.
With a open straight flush draw I would raise and call a 3 bet but would't cap. The reason I wouldn't cap is that I want mu opponent to put me on 2 pair. So when I catch he will bet his trips, assuming thats what he has if he 3 bet, so I can check raise.