PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1235)
UTG+1 (t2675)
MP1 (t2620)
CO (t1840)
Hero (t1385)
SB (t1795)
BB (t1950)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t200

Flop: (t650) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t800</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1085 (All-in)</font>, BB calls t285

Completely lost here. Guide me, oh wise ones.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: $16: Not sure how to play these jacks

Check/fold the flop. Jacks are always vulnerable on Overcard flops, especially when you have preflop callers. What's worse is villain called your preflop raise with bad position and a bigger stack. If he has any sense, he's calling with a high pp J J- A A, or A Ko-A Ks.

Flight_Risk
Old 06-11-2006, 12:56 AM

That seems extraordinarily tight for a $16. One of the defining characteristics of a $16 game is that it's filled with players who don't have any sense. I won't say what villain showed down, but I will say it's way outside of that range.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/fold the flop. Jacks are always vulnerable on Overcard flops, especially when you have preflop callers. What's worse is villain called your preflop raise with bad position and a bigger stack. If he has any sense, he's calling with a high pp J J- A A, or A Ko-A Ks.

Flight_Risk

[/ QUOTE ]

You are giving your opponents WAAAY too much credit. Seriously. I dont think anyone's range is that tight in the 16s. Not even close.

I'll probably bet 1/2 the time and check behind half the time. The flop isnt that bad. Most of the time, villain has an A or PP. There is only one overcard out there, and you only have one player to deal with.

By betting the flop, you've committed yourself to the hand, so you really cant fold. He very likely can have a PP of some sort. I think i like checking behind here and going into calldown mode. (maybe push if villain leads the turn).
Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 AM

Check-raising a bet of almost 2/3 the pot is a bit strong for Ax or a pocket pair isn't it? Unless he hit trips. But on an uncoordinated board trips are strong enough for a check-call in my opinion.

I'm not sure of the best play here. He probably has the king and more often than not I'm folding.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:31 AM

I raise 250 preflop and check behind on the flop.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:09 PM

If you're willing to go all in after a raise I would just push the flop. If villain's seems to be a strong player I check and maybe make a move on the turn representing a pair of Ks, if you had Ks would you bet on that flop? No draws, I might have done the same as villain here with a midpair or A high.

However I fold the raise and look to make a move with a better hand later. Given no reads cbeting usually takes down the pot enough to for me to bet after the flop, even if it means you're down to an m &lt; 5. Givin no reads I bet the flop, it's a pretty good flop only 1 over card.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise 250 preflop and check behind on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems extraordinarily tight for a $16. One of the defining characteristics of a $16 game is that it's filled with players who don't have any sense. I won't say what villain showed down, but I will say it's way outside of that range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever he showed down, it probably beat your Jacks and even if he didn't, it caused you so much uncertainty about your play with them that you ended up posting this hand in the forums. One things for sure in a $16, even if villian didn't call with a range that tight, he definitely had no fear of mini-raising your 3/5th pot bet and calling your reraise push all-in on a King-high flop. I think you're beat.

Flight_Risk