Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Desktop PC: Awesome Deal?

For 3880 HKD, which is about $520 US I can get...

CPU: Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHZ (533MHz) 2MB x2
Main Board: ASUS
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Disk: 160 GB SATA
Graphics card: 128MB ATI x1300

The main thing I'm worried about is the CPU, I plan on running high end games, TES4: Oblivion, Half-life 2 etc. There is no screen included, but there is a keyboard and mouse, windows XP home, CD/DVD burner and a wireless card as well.

Sweet deal? Will my CPU be good enough?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Desktop PC: Awesome Deal?

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on running high end games, TES4: Oblivion

[/ QUOTE ]

wont be playable
Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wont be playable

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wont be playable

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure he can "run" it but it is going to be pretty poor IMO. dont expect much.

half life 2 will def run, it is an order of magnitude less demanding than oblivion.

edit- maybe i was being a little harsh saying "unplayable", it will run, but you wont be playing the same oblivion that everyone else is playing.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wont be playable

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure he can "run" it but it is going to be pretty poor IMO. dont expect much.

half life 2 will def run, it is an order of magnitude less demanding than oblivion.

edit- maybe i was being a little harsh saying "unplayable", it will run, but you wont be playing the same oblivion that everyone else is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think is holding him back? The processor is plenty IMO, as Oblivion runs great on max settings on my X2 3800+. I don't know anything about the video card. Is that weak?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 PM

So the CPU is too weak? My graphics card is top-notch without going 256 as far as I know, do I need to go 256 for somehting like TES4: Oblivion?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 AM

There was an article on Tom's hardware http://www.tomshwardware.com that showed certain pentium 805D's had a massive overclocking potential. If you get the right motherboard, the right production of the 805D, and an aftermarket cooler you can get to 3.6ghz if you're lucky. With a water cooler they managed to get it up to 4.1ghz, putting it right up there with the top of the line dual-core cpus that are 5x+ more expensive than the 805D (which is also dual core).

As it stands, oblivion you'll be able to play but at very low settings. Most games should run ok but again, you'll have to turn some of the settings down.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There was an article on Tom's hardware http://www.tomshwardware.com that showed certain pentium 805D's had a massive overclocking potential. If you get the right motherboard, the right production of the 805D, and an aftermarket cooler you can get to 3.6ghz if you're lucky. With a water cooler they managed to get it up to 4.1ghz, putting it right up there with the top of the line dual-core cpus that are 5x+ more expensive than the 805D (which is also dual core).

As it stands, oblivion you'll be able to play but at very low settings. Most games should run ok but again, you'll

have to turn some of the settings down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried overclocking or anything, so I don't know if I'm going to do that, been asking around and I think I'm going to get a 3.2 or maybe 3.4 single core processor and a 256 MB ati card. This should let me run any game out within the next few years as far as I know.

Maybe I should go for an AMD chip?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 AM

build a system off newegg or tigerdirect. way too wasted to get into it right now, but it will be upgradeable. post in the tech support forum for more useful help.l
Old 06-11-2006, 03:02 AM

Buying a system online is more expensive than buying it in a store where I live, especially from an american retailer.

I read the article on Tom's Hardware, no way I'm gonna go through all that technical stuff, changing the voltage, installing cooling and then chainging the clocking settings. I'll just pay a little more for a better CPU. Any major difference between a 3.2 GHZ pentium and 3200 AMD?