Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Rules Question - Check Raising an All-In

I'm hoping somebody can help me out with a ruling I didn't understand last night:

I'm in MP with the BB and button also still in the hand in a 4/8 game. On the turn, the BB and I both check and the button bets. The BB raises all in for 3 more. I try to re-raise, but the dealer tells me that I can't becuase of the all-in raise.

I understand how this would work if I had made the initial bet, because I would basically be raising myself. But, I hadn't put any money in that round and basically lost the chance to get a full raise in.

Is this the correct ruling? Can somebody explain this rule to me?
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Rules Question - Check Raising an All-In

The dealer was wrong that you couldn't raise. You could in fact complete the raise and make the bet 16. You can't raise to 19.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer was wrong that you couldn't raise. You could in fact complete the raise and make the bet 16. You can't raise to 19.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to add always get a ruling on these things. I have seen expereinced dealers get confused about who can and cannot raise. You have not acted on the button's bet yet so you can raise the button. If the floor tries to rule incorrectly (not that uncommon in small rooms) point out that ou are raising the button not the all-in player.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to add always get a ruling on these things.

[/ QUOTE ]
The real reason I didn't call the floor was becuase the button was a smart player who started looking really worried with all the action going on behind him. I thought the more time we spent discussing it would just be more time for him to talk himself into folding. As it is, I don't think he would have called 8 more, but he did call 3. Maybe I came out ahead [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is true only because another player made the intial bet. If it had been checked around to the button, and he went all-in for 3, you would only be allowed to call the 3, not complete it to 8.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And this is true only because another player made the intial bet. If it had been checked around to the button, and he went all-in for 3, you would only be allowed to call the 3, not complete it to 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Becasue the initial bettor has already acted on that round of betting. Action that is not a raise does not reopen the betting (if someone goes all in in limit poker for less than half a bet it is action only).
Old 06-11-2006, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The weirdest funny rule I heard was on Friday morning at a Bay 101 tournament where the dealer claim backed up by a couple of players was after the flop SB checks, CO checks, Button Bets, SB calls, CO goes all-in for a much less than raise amount and this is supposed to mean that Button can only call or bet but that SB whose already check/called the Button's action is free to now raise the action!

I was out of the hand and didn't want to waste my blind level times so I didn't ask for a floor ruling but that seemed nuts to me.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^ The correct answer. The dealer needs to Learn2deal.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completing a bet and raising a bet are not the same thing. He is not the one who raised, someone else is and he is mereley "completing" the bet. Most rooms use the 1/2 bet/raise rule, some use the rull bet/raise rule.

The dealer was not wrong per say. He was right, you could not "raise". He neglected or failed to tell you that you could call or complete.