Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Biggest Limit Pots Won

This thread is intended for limit players to state what the biggest pot they won was at any given level and game. It would be nice if people could provide the context of the hand. This thread is not about patting oneself on the back. For the serious student of the game, two things will become apparent, the bigger the stakes the smaller the win in terms of big bets and the more rounds of betting the bigger the win in terms of actual cash if not big bets. I will start it off.

Seven Card Stud $2/$4 8PP: $48.75 = 12.1875 bb.
Commentary: bluff and counter bluff, heads up, waiting for the table to fill, but I made trip nines.

Seven Card Stud 25c/50c 8PP: $16.65 = 33.3 bb.
Commentary: Just a bunch of fish thinking that their high pair/two pairs were good. I was sitting there with a Q-high flush.

Five Card Draw $1/$2 5PP: $32.50 = 16.25 bb.
Commentary: I raised with a pair, got reraised, the raiser took 2, a second player took 2/3 and I took 3. The initial raiser bet out with trip aces, the second player raised trip kings and I, I caught a full house. I made it three bets. The initial raiser capped, and the second player and I called.

Note: all pot sizes exclude the rake.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Biggest Limit Pots Won

This should be in the BBV forum and they just had a poll the other day, I believe something like 66BB won.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:57 PM

I once witnessed a good friend of mine lose a 3-6 limit pot that I would guess contained 75 big bets. The funny part is that neither person had the nuts when the money when in.

Hand went like this.

Folded around to my friend in the SB. SB offers a chop. BB looks at his card and said "Sorry I can't, you would understand" My friend looks down at KK and raises,BB reraise before my friend decides he must be up against aces and calls the 5 bet preflop. Flop comes K77. The raising war begins. and they put somewhere around 30 bets in on the flop. My friend had ruled out 77 because of the comments reguarding the chop and the 5 bet. Finally someone calls and they go to the turn wither it is a 4. They put in about 10 bets and my friend decides he better call and cut his loses because the guys was obviously willing to put his whole stack in and figured he may actually have 77. Then the river.......... is a 7. Now my friend is liek great he didn't ahve quads, I was right he had AA so he puts his remaing chips in and they guy shows....................A7 for quads and scoops the $450 3-6 pot.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This should be in the BBV forum and they just had a poll the other day, I believe something like 66BB won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I was unsure where to post it. Maybe moderator will do me a favor and move it.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For the serious student of the game, two things will become apparent, the bigger the stakes the smaller the win in terms of big bets and the more rounds of betting the bigger the win

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a reasonable rule of thumb, for average pots, anyway. Looking at *biggest* pots is the worst way imaginable to spot any kind of a trend though. The extremes become rarer as you go higher, but it IS possible to get dealt wild hands at any limit - I have certainly seen 5-way preflop caps at every limit from 25/50c up to $5/10.

As it happens, I read this thread a few minutes after watching a $3/6 online pot grow to $182 = 30.3BB. I wasn't involved; the principals were JJ vs QQ, J made a set on the flop and the Q came on the river. Preflop (5way), flop (4way), and river all capped; not much action, comparatively on the turn.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:44 AM

4/8 holdem, 9 handed, $504 = 63 bb
Last hand of the night before closing.

2 players flopped straights.
1 player flopped a set.
2 players flopped 2 pair.
Board paired on river. Worst 2 pair becomes top full house.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the serious student of the game, two things will become apparent, the bigger the stakes the smaller the win in terms of big bets and the more rounds of betting the bigger the win in terms of actual cash if not big bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Siegmund, but I'd add that the first rule has two aspects.

(1) Low limit play is generally less skilled, so people throw chips into pots they have little chance of winning, which increases the number of BB in all pots. In this case it's the absolute size of the limits that matter.

(2) In low limit play the amounts of money generally mean less to the players, so they are willing to risk more BBs in the biggest hands. In this case, it's the size of the limits in relation to the wealth of the players that matters.

To me the interesting question is, what are the biggest pots you've seen in which everyone played well.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM

I disagree with your first point, limit play is not less skillful (Mason Malmuth would agree with me on this) accept your second point and think your question interesting and feel the answer would not be above 20bb.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure Mason would agree with you. It's true that moving up in limit doesn't always mean moving up in skill, and certainly switching to no limit doesn't mean you move up in skill, but the lowest limit games do seem to have less skillful players than medium and high limit games. One reason is that some players are just fooling around in these games, another is that no one can make a living, or even a reasonable supplement to a living, in them. That doesn't mean all players are bad, but bad players can survive longer.

I agree with you that the answer to my second question is quite different from the answer to the original question.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 AM

It was at party 05/1 some time ago. I won the $43 pot with a full house.