Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Cotto/Malignaggi

This fight is not getting much press nationally because of Tarver/Hopkins happening on the same day, but this fight could and will be more exciting of the two fights.

This fight will be the start of many upcoming big fights for the future superstar. Cotto's talents are ever more evident in each fight. His main weapon is his relentless body attack and the physical beating he puts on a fighters body. If his body shots are not connecting he is swelling arms and break down shoulders and elbows, just as his last oppont Gianluca Branco, who had to quit with what looked like a dislocated shoulder.

I have only seen Malignaggi fight once, and from the announcers of that fight, it sounds like I saw the typical Malignaggi style. He likes to "shoe shine" with his punches. He has got very good hand speed and quick feet with good lateral movement and good stamina to keep moving through 12 rounds. The thing about Paulie is that he never really throws that one punch that might end the fight or at least damage his opponet to the extent that he can finish him with a flurry of punches. He fights a very good Olympic style, where you recieve a point for each punch landed and quality and damage of punches are only important if the fighter is looking for the KO.

Of course the obvious question is will Cotto be able to catch Malignaggi with enough body shots to wear him down for a late round stoppage, I don't think so. Even though I am was not impressed with Malignaggi (and I have been VERY impressed with Cotto) I think he fights the right style to LAST with Cotto and he is smart enough to know he can only last with Cotto by fighting within himself. This means running around the ring as Cotto keeps trying to back him into a corner or put him on the ropes. Malignaggi will throw quick flurries and then duck or slip out the side and run to an opening (very similar to Chris Byrd's fighting style when he was successful). Cotto's big weakness is his chin. In his last 4 fight he was hit with punches that clearly shookk him up. Some damaged him more (vs. Torres and Corley) while others just just proved his suspect (vs. Branco and Abdulev). The only problem is that Cotto can capitalize on Cotto's biggest weakness.

I don't see any value in betting Cotto to win at -450 to -500. I think taking the Cotto by UD at +265 is a great value. I think that this prop should be closer to +185 to +200. Also the OVER of 10.5 at -120 is a good bet.

Enjoy the Fight(s).

Hopes this what you were looking for ThaHero

Tuds
Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Cotto/Malignaggi

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any value in betting Cotto to win at -450 to -500. I think taking the Cotto by UD at +265 is a great value. I think that this prop should be closer to +185 to +200. Also the OVER of 10.5 at -120 is a good bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good calls! Thanks, Tuds.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:23 AM

Nice write up Tuds! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 AM

Hero,
Did you have any action on Cotto's fight, or were you just interested in the match-up from a fan's perspective?

Please say you took my advice.

Tuds
Old 06-11-2006, 11:44 AM

Tuds,

I took your advice. Good call. Thanks man
Old 06-12-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero,
Did you have any action on Cotto's fight, or were you just interested in the match-up from a fan's perspective?

Please say you took my advice.

Tuds

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to know from both perspectives. Unfortunately I was already at a fight party when I saw your post so I wasn't able to get to a computer and place any bets. Good call though. I'm sure they'll replay the match for free this weekend so I should get to check it out.