Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Im a Stupid Piece of [censored]

Argh, i always get lots of chips in tourneys than i blow it at the end with a stupid ass play.
ARGH!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Im a Stupid Piece of [censored]

then stop making these stupid ass plays.

problem solved

next.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Argh, i always get lots of chips in tourneys than i blow it at the end with a stupid ass play.
ARGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Try putting a sticky note on your computer not to change your play once you've accumulated chips. Your problem is not uncommon, it happens in cash games as well.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ARGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

My tourney game could use some help. Please tell me how you 'always' get lots of chips in tourneys W/O making any stupid ass plays?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM

play alot of hands when the blinds are 10 20 especially when a donks in the pot.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Argh, i always get lots of chips in tourneys using stupid ass plays and sucking out badly than i blow it at the end with a stupid ass play.
ARGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would expect this to continue until you change your attitude.

PS: I like Pirate talk.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM

Just to argue it the other way:

[ QUOTE ]
Try putting a sticky note on your computer reminding you to change your play once you've accumulated chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each tournament is its own story, but let's assume you're playing huge MTTs with low buyins or some rebuy options. It's a mad scrum at the beginning and you're willing to take risks with your whole stack in the hopes of doubling up a couple times. If you bust out, at least you didn't burn up five hours nursing a middling stack so you could finish 37th.

Now you've got an above-average stack and a LAG image. You'd like to keep grabbing small/medium pots off timid players who will fold missed flops for fear of busting out against you.

But if you're splashing chips around a lot, discerning players will be looking for chances to trap you. Most of the clods have busted out, and you're left playing poker against some smarter opponents. Adjust for that. Overall, it sounds like you're walking into too many traps, hoping to bet your way out of trouble.

Watch out for tight players who suddenly limp or min-raise UTG or UTG+1. . . . Pay close attention to your position vis-a-vis other big stacks at the table and try not to go to war with mediocre hands (AT; 88, etc.) out of position . . . Steal blinds when you can, but abandon steals that aren't working out.

For an extreme view on this, try Cloutier's book, which argues for playing tight/weak once you've got a big stack partway through a tournament. Hardly anyone today regards that as optimal. But spend some time chewing over his arguments and thinking about whether a small dose of that caution might improve your longevity.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM

the trick is to recognize that point where you've cooled off and enough discipline to switch gears and back off a bit. it might be a pure complusive gambler mentality kicking in. you're 'hot', you get a lot of chips, say you run it up to 35k, you lose 5k, then you try and chase it or are over confident, so you wind up giving it away. try and pick a point where you say 'hey, i was top 10 in chips, but now i'm down to just a bit above average, i need to change my style, need to shift gears, need to go back to work'. use the clock to take a break, take some deep breaths, get that adreniline back down, reset yourself, take a nice long PIT stop, fold an orbit or 2 unless you have some monsters to try and build up your table image, then play some good poker

that help at all or just a munch of mumbo jumbo?