Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 AM

Default Can someone explain this?

long time lurker

the SB is 44/8/3.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero has a brainfart and calls.

i know that i should raise here, but why? i spent too much time trying to figure out the reason, i accidently hit call.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain this?

SB's aggression is pretty much off the charts. 3.0 with a 44 VPIP means he's pretty much betting anything on the flop. You have a nine or pocket pair beat and the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] means that you aren't as worried about flush draws. A raise means you can see if SB caps, at which point you can start worrying about a queen and calling instead of raising. You have every reason to believe you have the best hand right now.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM

does raising here give the other two correct pot odds to call or doesnt that matter?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:17 AM

eh, what about call and raise the turn?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:30 AM

You should not raise the flop!
Call Flop and Raise turn if a blank comes.
Of course this play is depending on your read on the players but which play isn't?
A normal player only bets out here with a FD,OESD,9,PP or a Q. The caller probably also has something like that.
That means that they're staying to the river no matter what if they are on a draw. You can't raise the flop to protect your hand because BB always going to call your reraise. So why don't you charge them double by raising a blank turn instead? Use position to maximize your profit.
If you get 3-bet after reraising the turn it's also an easy fold for me. Few players can 3-bet the turn without an Q against 2 players.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 AM

You don't know that SB will bet the turn. Many people donk paired boards with air and an AF of 3 suggests SB is very capable of this.
BB is probably on a draw.
Raise the flop while you have the chance.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 AM

If they donk with air why would they call a flop raise then?
I would gladly give up one small bet to BB if I have a reasonable chance to get two big bets with a turn raise if SB bets again.
By the way AF doesn't say anything without a read or showdown%. There are so many loose players playing fit or fold on flop that get very high AF.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does raising here give the other two correct pot odds to call or doesnt that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

If somebody has a flush draw or oesd, yes, he's getting the correct pot odds to call your raise. He won't be making a mistake by calling. However, you would still be making a mistake by failing to raise. You're offering drawing hands better odds than what they're entitled to.

Either raise the flop or call the flop planning to raise the turn. Normally I just go ahead and pop it here because I'm not 100% confident there will be a turn bet into me, but either line is far superior to calling down.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM

You don't have to be 100% confident that there will be a turn bet to gain more with a turn raise than a flop raise when we are ahead.
Assume they both have a big draw,PP,or a 9. If we raise flop we gain 1BB and we won't fold anything that we want to fold.
If we check the flop instead and we think that SB only bets 50% of the time (with BB calling)we still get the same EV with a turn raise (2BB*0,50=1BB)that a flop raise would get. Any higher betting frequency than 50% (with BB calling) will get us +EV compared to a flop raise.
It could also be so that SB checks,BB bets,Hero raise,SB calls with a FD or OESD which still just need to happen 50% of the time.
Then we of course have scenarios when SB check/folds and BB Bets and where SB Bets and BB folds when we will break even with a flop raise.
I think it is a good chance that a turn raise will get us more EV when we are ahead than a flop raise and we certainly don't have to be 100% confident that any of them will bet turn (see arguments above)for it to be a +EV move.

There are also other factors advocating a turn raise.

If SB donks with air ,which I don’t think, he may try again on the turn, but he will always fold to a flop raise.

If a c hits the turn and SB bets out and BB calls I think we should be very glad that we didn't raise the flop then we can call down instead.
We are not only getting more EV by raising turn we can also do it with more information than we could do with a flop raise.
IMO this is an easy turn raise if we think we are ahead.

If we think anyone has a Q I think a 3-bet on turn really tells us that we are behind but that a 3-bet against us on flop just can be tricky play/overplay with a FD or a OESD.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:11 AM

Apanage, I don't think this is as much about making them fold a draw as it is about getting maximum value out of your hand. There is nobody left to act behind you so the only way you can face anyone with two bets is if SB reraises. I much prefer raising right now to trap BB for as many bets as I can. There is absolutely no guarantee that you are going to get any bets on future streets so get them on the flop while you can.