Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM

Default AK Early 4/180 TPTK

10/20 about 10 hands in I pick up AKs(hearts) in late position and raise 4xbb to 80. button reraises to 160 and the sb smooth calls. so its 60 to me with a pot of about 590. I call, well aware of the warning signals.

Flop is 3K3 rainbow.

Now, my question is, how much do you factor in the fact that its a $4/180 and that the level of play is usually horrendus like my spelling?

While the action makes it seem very possible that someone is holding AA or KK, considering the pot size and that I have about 900 left how many here are going to get away from this?

I mean you are priced in for 60 in a 590 pot pre flop, and you hit your hand. In these tournaments while certainly possible someone has AA or KK, its just as easily possible that they have QQ, KQ, KJ, or even KT, hell even worse.

In the majority of these tournaments I play, someone donks off a ton of chips to me playing J2, Q4, etc.

So while in a higher buy in tournament I can certainly get away from this, however is it wise to fold in this situation to any resistance considering the buy in and level of play?

What would you do? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: AK Early 4/180 TPTK

check-call
Old 06-08-2006, 02:34 PM

thanks for the reply, lets say that i check, a reasonable bet here is half the pot so someone bets 300. after calling I will have 600 left. now i really dont see how i can fold if there is a turn bet. there are too many chips.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM

If you believe the ranges of hands opponents are willing to bet this pot with includes junk like QQ, KQ and J2 then you should check-call through to showdown, allowing them to bluff at you with their hands. If it turns out they had aces or 43 then so be it, but if you beat their range, it's best to check-call. Don't worry about getting pot-commited; the goal is to get pot-commited so that villain keeps bluffing his inferior hand and you call.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 PM

ok, i see what you are saying. thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM

is it checked around to you? if not, what was the bet...you have positions and I think you need to make a move on the flop. Need alittle bit more info.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:42 PM

sorry about that. yes sb checked, the button has yet to act after me.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM

You have the best hand (or chop) like tons here. I would probably just c/r all in on the flop.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM

interesting hand.

being so early in the tourny, i don't want to get too short-stacked, but it is reasonably easy to build up chips again if you do with the blinds so small and all.

early in these tourny's i rarely raise pf and if i do, its only 3x BB, unless i get QQ+, then i raise 4-5 x BB. but its rare (to many donks call bets with anything and hit monsters). i find it much more effective save the chips for when you hit your hand and play strong post-flop poker. this is a good example of hitting the hand.

however, with the pf re-raise i would probably check-fold an all-in, but check-push anything else.

IMO, 4/5 times you'll get paid off by pushing, as i'm sure you know well. and if you lose to 33, Ax3x, KK, AA, then so be it, and fire up another one.

the reason i would check-fold an all-in because its just not worth it. you might as well wait until someone else doubles you up.